Search This Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

The beginning

Hi!
My name is Laura Irving and  I was notified on Wednesday afternoon that I have been selected to participate in the NYC Triathlon (nyctri.com) on July 8, 2012. I am so excited and scared to death!

I am inviting you to follow me on my training journey. As of now , my official training will begin in March with four months before the actual event. The next three months or so will be pre training to get up to speed and work on technique.

Let me start from the very beginning:
Last December I tore my ACL  and meniscus skiing in Vermont  ( killington.com ) My personal goal was 30 days on the mountain which is pretty ambitious when you have a full time job and only ski on weekends. Clearly, that did not happen.

During recovery from surgery, I realized that my days at my corporate job were coming to end.  I worked for one of the largest technology staffing companies whose KPI's would be impossible for me to meet while out on disability. It was time for me to figure out what I really wanted to do with the rest of my life . 
Over drinks one night with my girlfriend, it hit me. Personal trainer.  It made complete sense.

I have always been active and really enjoy exercise and sports and I have always encouraged others to be active as well.  In 2003, I earned my black belt in mixed martial arts from Tiger Schulmann ( tsk.com ).  Once I achieved that I started competing in grappling tournaments in the tri state area. I have also run a couple of half marathons, Philly  (2008) and Long Branch (2009)  and now it is time to challenge myself once again, the NYC Triathlon. 

Yet I digress, so in May of 2011 after leaving  my corporate position, I began studying for my certification through ACSM (acsm.org) and received my certification in October 2011.

 Part of this training journey is to inspire you  to get up offf the sofa and move it! Whatever it is that motivates you keep that in the front of your mind in the morning when you wake up and hold on to it every day. The other part of this journey is help build my personal training practice. I do not want you to do the triathlon unless that is your own personal goal but I would absolutely help you achieve your goal

No comments:

Post a Comment