Hi, it’s Laura again.
I am not off to a good start here. My panic level has gone from normal everyday panic to WHAT THE HECK HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO. No, it never occurred to me that I could not do this (yes the daring triple negative and I stuck the landing).
Sunday afternoon I started looking around the internet for beginner triathlon work outs that include strength training. I found plenty of workout models that charge a fee or where not applicable to me.
The NYC Tri is Olympic length (1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run) and most of the beginner programs out there offer for sprint distance (750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triathlon.
My biggest issue is that there was no strength training to anyone of them. How can you train without strength? Well, after reading many websites regarding tri training I realized, I AM A PERSONAL TRAINER. I can make my own work out!
Sunday night I pulled out the text book, “The Big Book of Exercise” and my iPhone to create a periodized strength training plan to take me through hypertrophy, max power, peak and recovery over the next three months.
Periodization refers to systematic variation in the prescribed volume and intensity during different phases of resistance training (ACSM, resource for the personal trainer, third edition)
Remember I am looking at three months of pre training before I really begin training. To train for these specific events, I have to strengthen specific body parts:
· Swimming – back and arms
· Running – hamstrings
· Cycling – quads
Where to begin? Hypertrophy! which is the growth of muscles and muscle fibers. The dictionary version sounds ugly. So let's grow some muscles. In order to grow the muscles you need, there is specific formula: high reps (12-15), high sets (3-5), short rest (less than 1 min), low load
The first few weeks look like this:
· barbell jump squats
· dumbell step ups
· farmer's walk
· dumbell step up
· T pushup
· inverted row
· pull over
· lateral raise
· swiss ball plank
· Mcgill curl up
Armed with my workout schedule at no fee, I am very enthusiastic about Monday's workout. I will keep you posted.
DO NOT ATTEMPT ANY EXERCISE WITHOUT BEING CLEARED BY A PHYSICIAN. IN ADDITON ALL EXERCISES LISTED HERE ARE FOR MY OWN PERSONAL USE PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT ANY OF THESE WITH OUT SUPERVISION FROM A PROFESSIONAL
No comments:
Post a Comment