Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Getting Ready


Hi. It's Laura.

It's only been one day of tapering and I am already going a little stir crazy.

So I am busying myself with reading about tapering, resting and how necessary it is for you. Since I am planner, I already have my plan for next week, not my next race. I was thinking about a next race but I really need to see how Sunday goes before I commit to another Tri.

So while everyone else is heading out of town to enjoy the July 4th holiday, The Husband and I will remain here in the city and enjoy the peace of quiet of the mass exodus and practice changing tires on the bike.


This morning was my second to last ride before Sunday. I took the normal route for me up Riverside and decided on my way back to check out the technical turn of the course out of T1. On my way down the ramp at 79th St. the path was blocked by a truck (grumble grumble) until I saw what they were doing: setting up HUGE spot lights along the pathway. I was wondering why they would need them for the fireworks for tomorrow then I realized, DUH! These are not for the fireworks, they are for the Tri. The spot lights are lighting up T1 because most of the athletes will be arriving between 3:30 and 5:00 am when it’s still dark outside. Oh, exciting. I continue down to 72nd street to see if they started to repair the giant hole on the ramp there and on my way I found this:



What is this you ask? This would be the workers and volunteers setting up one of the transition areas. I wasn’t sure at first but then I read some of the signs, “Sharp Turn Ahead” and “U Turn”. Then I was sure. They were laying black tarp for the bike stands to rest on. Then I got really excited. I waited around for a few minutes to see what other signs they would be carrying out. I saw 1200 meters & 800 meter signs. Just in case I was still not convinced, I saw these:

Since it is the Aquaphor Triathlon and RCN was one of thesponsors, I knew. I finished my ride to 72nd Street and was disappointed to see they were not setting up the transition area there yet. Also, they had not yet touched the pothole. At that point I decided to see if they were working on anything else. So I rode up to 96th Street where I think the swim start is located. I had to actually whip out my phone in order to find the exact location because nothing is set up there yet. There is no sign in the park marking the street either.

Although I knew approximately where the start of the swim would be I figure today was as good a day as any to take a look and here it is, the swim course.



lf you look off in the distance you can see the 79th Street pier where we exit. After I saw this, the course grew very long for me. It’s only 20 city blocks, piece of cake right? Fingers crossed.

Still kind stoked about the whole course being set up thing, I headed to Central Park to see if anything was happening there. There was nothing yet. I know they start building the finish line at least a week before the marathon so I was a little disappointed to see nothing.

Looking at the signs and the course, I was excited. I sit here writing to you about it and I am scared to death. This keeps happening. Moments of sheer panic and moments of absolute confidence. I can do this! If I can stand in the ring and women try to knock me out, I can take this course.

Off to practice changing my tires!

Play hard!

Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment