Search This Blog

Monday, July 9, 2012

New York City Triathlon: The Beginning, The Middle , The Race


Hi. It's Laura.

I had mentioned last Thursday that I would be updating on Twitter during the weekend. For those of you who are not on Twitter, here is how the story goes.

Beginning on Friday afternoon, NYC Triathlon held mandatory briefings for all athletes competing on Sunday. No briefing, no hand stamp, no race packet, no race, no exceptions. Their rules, not mine. The briefing itself was pretty much the Athlete Guide with a few guidelines and tips that were not printed. The briefing lasted just about a half hour and was mandatory. Once the briefing was complete, you got a hand stamp. The hand stamp was verification that you attended the briefing. This meant you were allowed to pick up your race packet which included: bike number, race bib, triathlon tattoos (tritats), timing chip and bike helmet number. Once you received your packet it was onto the Expo.

This being my first triathlon but not my first race, I was impressed by the level of organization. The briefing was full but not chaotic and the line to get your race packet was minimal because they had it broken down into many categories of racer. I wondered through the Expo feeling pretty good.

Saturday from 2:00Pm to 9:00pm was mandatory bike check in. There is no bike check in on race day. No bike checked in, no race, no exceptions. Again, their rule not mine. I spent most of Saturday morning running around. I had a small workout Saturday morning, then off the chiropractor. With a few last minute details (like an extra tube for the bike because I won’t let a flat keep me down), I headed home to rest and hydrate.

My original plan for bike check in was to check in all my gear Saturday night then head up to the start in the morning instead of going to the first transition to set up my things on race day. Plans change. After a few things I heard at the briefing and the weather forecast for Saturday night, I realized it was in my best interest to bring everything to transition Sunday morning. I was in deep denial about getting up at 3:30 AM.

So after a good pasta dinner, The Husband and I headed home and headed for bed. Saturday night we were down like infants at 8:00PM. We both managed to fall asleep and sleep through the night (there was that whole hour of non-sleep thanks to the thunders storms) and at 3:30 AM we were up and at'em.

Everything I have learned about race day is; relax, take your time and eat breakfast. I did. Got up, had some coffee and started breakfast. I looked at the clock and it was already 4:17AM. WHERE DID THE TIME GO?! I started to panic. So while I made breakfast, The Husband applied my tritats. Why panic? I mentioned earlier, NYC Tri has some pretty strict rules. The transition area opened at 4:00 AM and closed at 5:15 AM, if your gear was not in transition by then, no race, no exceptions.

I knew it was not going to take me long to set up my transition area. I had already packed my bag and it was in the order it needed to be on the ground. We arrived at transition at 4:50 and I was out by 5:05. Transition Yellow was located at 72nd St and the swim start was at 99th St. Once everything was set up, The Husband walked the promenade with me as far as he could go.


On my own, I continued walking to the start. So far the path to the start was marked clearly and everything was easy to find. The trucks that carry your clothing to finish line were first. I opted to keep my shoes in order to go up to the toilets. My nerves being relatively calm still at this point, the bathroom area could have easily rocked me (anyone for that matter).

Listening to all the nervous chatter, people were running around and panicking. And let’s not forget the woman "getting sick" in the garbage can. I did not need to see that. No one did and apparently (I heard) she was not the only one.

While standing in line for the bathroom the second time, I heard the shotgun and the pros start. It was time to get to my corral. I checked my bag and headed down barefoot through Riverside Park. The Husband and I did the math on Friday and with approximately 1945 athletes starting before me, we figured my heat would be in the water by 6:43am.

Knowing that it was about 5:50, my nerves kicked in just a little bit. Once in my age group corral, I donned half my wetsuit. I opted to wear a full wet suit to swim in the Hudson River.

I met a group of women in my corral who were awesome. After chatting for a bit, I let them know this was my first tri and that I only learned how to swim last September. They were very supportive. So while we are standing there chatting, me facing the water, they are both looking behind with a little bit of wonder of their faces. The next thing I know, they are pointing at me. I turn around and see a giant picture of me being used as a sign. Really? Did you have to use that picture? [Editor’s note: She actually said that she should have been able to pick the picture. As this was a surprise, I didn’t see how that was possible.]




Just then, as The Husband was trying to talk to me, my stomach did a nice little flips. As much I appreciated the gesture and thought the whole thing was hilarious, I just couldn't talk. I went from chatty nervous to quiet nervous just like that. It did not last long, thank god. The Husband left and was headed to the other area we talked about (always good to know where your fans are).

The wave of nerves passed and next thing I knew I was on the barge. They line up the athletes 15 at a time. With the blowing of the whistle, you jump in. 15 people start every 20 seconds. I got into line at there was an open space in front me. No, no, no, not yet! I wanted to have one person go before I have to go! But no, I sat, I jumped. Here we go!


(On the barge, I am the one with the gray arm)

I jumped, I swam and the next thing I knew, I was at 900 meters. It was still a long way to go, ugh. Front crawl, back stroke, front crawl, back stroke, front crawl and then the swim was finished. All the while swimming, I was thinking “just get through the swim”, “Doing triathlon? What was I thinking” and “Am I really doing this?” Apparently I was. I remember hearing “let the volunteers at the end help you out of the water”. I did. Shaky and tired I head to transition 1. I took my time getting there, I needed to recover.


And if you must know, I peed in my wetsuit on the way there. I finished the swim in 27.48. I thought it would take me over 20 minutes to walk to T1 and strip off my wetsuit and change into my cycling gear. Apparently it only took 13:40.

Onto the bike. I think I was the last person out of transition, The Husband says otherwise. [Editor’s note: I saw 3 yellow bands go after her and didn’t stay that long.]

Up a steep incline and out onto the West Side Highway, I immediately pass two people. That makes me feel pretty good. The course takes us up the West Side Highway, through the tolls on the Henry Hudson, off ramp to Moshulu Parkway, turn around at Gun Hill Road and back down again.


My plan was not to hydrate on the way out but start consuming on the way back. There is nowhere to stop on the bike route and I didn't want to take any chances. I will say I had no idea the bike leg was going to be so hard. It was one long steep hill after another. I felt like it was never going to end. After the turn around, I looked at my watch and I was over an hour in. I realized I was not making the time I had in my head and that I had accomplished in training. Back down past 79th Street, U-turn at 57th Street, back up to 79th Street and into transition two (same as transition one). I thought I would finish the bike in about 1:30 I actually finished in 1:44:53.

I am not disappointed, although I was surprised at the difficulty. Transition two, which I have been practicing for months and which is documented here in my blog, took me 4:31. It should have taken less than two minutes. Unfortunately, I had  severe pain just under my glute and just above the hamstring. Damn those hills.

I took a moment to stretch my calf, hamstring and piriformis. I headed out for the run and decided to walk the steep ramp out of Riverside Park. I finally started my run on 72nd Street. Within just a few short minutes I had to stop because of the severe cramp on my right side. I remembered this cramp from my very first brick training. I didn't know how to fix it then and I didn't know how to fix it during the race. I allowed myself to walk until the cramp subsided.

I will tell you it is not helpful to hear the crowd yelling "don't quit". I was NOT quitting, I was walking and it was a planned timed walk at that. I was not happy. I did not want a cramp. I wanted to finish this race. I also reminded myself over the weekend that if I walked, it was not failure. I kept my walking timed so I would not get too lazy. I allowed myself to walk for one minute intervals and kept the run intervals as long as I could.


At least I knew the course. Once in Central Park, there were no surprises for me. I was grateful for the aid stations and the spray stations keeping us cool. I even had one volunteer pour water down the back of my shirt without my asking. (Thank you whoever you are!)

First up the big hill and then the second big hill, then the east side was the home stretch and it never felt so long. I swear the road was lenghthening the closer I got to the finish. Lo & behold, there it is. The crowd is thicker. The cheering grew louder and my emotions were over the top with sheer determination to finish.

And finish I did. The run took me 1:15:55, 12 minutes longer than it usually takes me.

I really thought it was taking a whole lot longer but 12 minutes longer with a one mile swim and a nearly 25 mile bike ride in front was not bad. At the end of the day it took me 3:46:45.


I found The Husband in the family reunion area and cried. I was hot, tired and happy. We still had to go to the transition area to get my gear and bike. After all that, you would think I could send The Husband to get it all but only participants may have access to the transition area, NO WRIST BAND, NO BIKE, NO EXCEPTIONS. We get the gear and bike and head for home.

This was truly one of the hardest things I have ever done and the answer is yes, next year we do it again.

We had a few people over after to celebrate. When everyone went home, I melted into the sofa. I went to bed at 7:30 PM Sunday night and slept through till 6:00AM Monday. I expect a few days before I am fully recovered.

Play hard!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment