Laura here again,
Anyone who knows me, knows that flexibility is not my strongest personality trait. I try (sometimes) but it does not come easy for me. I like my workouts first thing in the morning, my coffee before I go to the gym and lunch at noon (and not 12:15! Call me crazy).
I am back to cranky pants today because I was too tired to go to spin class this morning and now my day is completely thrown off. This caused all kinds of indecision on my part: should I take the dog out in the rain to the muddy dog run or take the dog around the very wet block? Should I go to the gym in the afternoon or take a nap (napping is always a tempting choice). The latter presents a huge philosophical question since both break my pattern and forces me to flexible.
We as humans love patterns as they make us feel safe and secure but the flexible human can adapt to changes quickly. This makes that person more effective in changing situations or in an evolving relationship.
Having a flexible personality allows us to take into account the special needs of any situation and adapt. Muscle flexibility works the same way. A flexible muscle allows easier movement, increases your range of motion, prevents injury and reduces stress (ever seen an angry yogi?). When muscles are pliable they react quickly to change and will help prevent injuries think about crossing the street
As we get older, our muscles shorten and tighten. Maintaining flexibility allows the muscles to keep their normal range of motion while preventing injury. Keeping a flexible personality allows you to adapt in a situation and perhaps make a few friends (or at least not make a new enemy).
Incorporate flexibility training into your daily routine. Learn (or I can teach you) the difference in the types of stretching whether static or ballistic. Learn when each is appropriate and how often they are to be performed. Sadly, there is no exercise for a flexible personality other than being aware and making an effort.
I did finally decide to take the dog to the park and do my bike workout in the afternoon (I may still nap though).
Play hard & be flexible!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment