Hi! It's Laura.
Happy Monday!
Definition of Goal: "The result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim end"
I happen to be goal oriented. I did not know this about myself until my mid-thirties when one of my managers pointed it out me, (which of course I denied). I have come to the reality that it is true and it is a good thing (most days). Without goals, I tend to wander aimlessly through my days without purpose. This tends to make me feel uncomfortable as a person (not horrible about myself but still not a great feeling). I do love the sense of achievement I feel when I hit my goals. Perhaps it’s an addiction, the same one Warren Buffet has I guess (Ok he may have it worse).
The problem with goal setting is that most people set them way too high which allow us to fail or make excuses for not being able to achieve them. The thing that helps us get there, or as my sensei called it, is discipline. Others call it "stick-to-itivness”, tenacity, doggedness or persistence.
My lofty goal is the triathlon. The question is how do I get there? It is no secret that I am new swimmer (of course it was not meant to be a secret). I learned how to swim in September, yes really! I mean I could get myself across an above ground pool or wade into the ocean. But to swim for fitness or distance really is not my forte and well I tell you it’s hard (boy o boy I had no idea).
As you well know, I am in the triathlon and I need to swim a mile. So I swim almost every day. I started with one length of the pool on day one. When I reached the wall, I was huffing and puffing for lack of oxygen. Week two, I was able to do four lengths of the pool (WOOHOOO!) Over the last few weeks, I have been unable to complete my defined distance and it is horribly frustrating. But every day, I go and just swim because the only way to hit my goal is to just do it (Hey, someone should use that as a slogan for a TV ad).
Today I hit my goal of 500 meters.
Whatever lofty goal you set for yourself, you cannot just wake up and achieve it. There is no magic wand (and you are not Harry Potter). There is work and frustration involved and days when you just want to quit.
The best way to get to a BIG goal is by setting and celebrating small goals along the way (eventually I will swim a mile). In your personal life, start with your to do list and complete it today (granted, it needs to be realistic). Want to learn how to run? Start with a short walk and run for one minute, want to lose 10 lbs? Start with building your healthy eating plan today, don’t worry about tomorrow and at the end of 5 weeks, 10lbs will be gone.
There are plenty of websites out there that can you help you achieve your goals and they are usually focused on those lofty ones. Try the little ones every day that help you get to the big one and celebrate them.
Play hard & enjoy!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment