Search This Blog

Monday, December 19, 2011

A setback

Hi, Laura here.

I know I have been gone for a number of days (and I do hope you noticed)!

It all started last Wednesday with The Dog. He had me up at 10:30 PM to go out (yes I was asleep due to lack of sleep the night before) then 2:30. At 3:30, I ignored him and The Husband took over (now I have huge guilt because what I thought was a request to play was a #2 emergency) but while they were out the cat got sick, twice.

Once they returned, we all settle back in, and The Husband starts to snore and snore and snore.

At 5:00 AM I gave up. I knew I would have to deal with approx. four hours sleep.  Adding insult to injury, I spent 99% of my day running around outside getting things done for the holidays including a two hour work out ( I won't go into the pool incident today).

Surprise , surprise, Friday I wake up with a sore throat. I was hoping it was just one of those morning sore throats that you get when the air is too dry. My hopes were dashed when I woke up in the middle of the night on Friday and could not swallow. Now, I believe that I am a strong person and that no cold can keep me down (LOL LOL HAHAHA) but a sore throat is a bitch.

I even had The Husband take me to the clinic on Saturday morning (in VT) where I was treated by Marcus Welby (see blog posting from 12/12/11). I was given a “Poor Baby” (but the doctor gave it so it means more) and sent home with nothing more than aspirin. Once at home, I laid on the sofa (woe-is-me’ing) all day. Saturday night, I slept from 8-8 (YAY) and 1 hour in the car on the way home.

So needless to say, training takes a back seat to getting healthy. There are a lot of opinions out there on whether or not to work out while your sick, but  it depends on how you feel. Only you know you and can say for sure if you should or should not. 

The general rule of thumb is if the cold is from the head up- go ahead, chest down, don't. 

Contrary to some popular opinions you cannot sweat out the cold and the gym, a cold needs to run its course (usually 10 days). The sauna is not going to make it any better either except to provide humidity to ease symptoms. The cold is a virus and cannot be sweated out your immune system needs to do its job.

You can boost your immune systems with regular exercise but it is best two wait out the first couple of days of a cold. Your fellow gym-mates will also appreciate you not bringing germs to their workout.

I will be back on track in a day or two and will continue sharing my trials and tribulations. For now, back to bed

Play hard & Stay healthy!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment