What a difference a day makes! I am way less cranky today (it won’t sound like it in a minute, but I really am) and perhaps that has everything to do with the sunshine that is streaming through all of our windows.
I don't know if you heard, New York has been voted the rudest city in America by Travel & Leisure magazine (I know I have done my part for this honor) knocking Los Angeles out of the top spot (I have never been to LA and I find it hard to imagine how all the pretty people can be rude to each other from inside their cars). I have a totally Hollywood idea of what LA is actually like.
It's bad enough that we have to deal with the subway and the pushing and shoving that goes on there (we did choose this) and the tourists that have no idea where they are going (kind of chose this too) so they walk slowly, four wide and oblivious. While we are at it, the side by side strollers on city streets (doublewide strollers? really?) make no sense either. But to have to deal with it daily in your health club, in your community, is just plain, well, rude.
A few weeks ago, I blogged about etiquette in the gym and much of that which should be common sense. But there is a whole level of rudeness that goes beyond just common courtesy in gym.
For example, The Husband this morning was working out on the mat where there was one other person. The first person, a man, took up the space of 5 with all the rollers, towels, balls and bands. Another woman joined who appeared to be suffering an ADHD bout but settled down in a perfect spot to have a loud conversation with “Space” man over top of The Husband. Turning up his music didn’t drown out the noise.
On a daily basis, I too find myself turning up the music on my iPod to drown out the shouting people. Why shout? Can't you just have a normal volume conversation near one another? Which brings me to this morning, I was on the Livestrong bikes (very cool BTW, I rode for forty minutes in three different states and felt like I was outside) and two bikes over, the woman in jeans (yes, jeans) was having a full on conversation with another woman on a bike. If you can be heard over music, 2 bikes away, please keep it down.
There is the trainer that wear too much cologne, yes him again, it is an absolute assault on my sense of smell. We all come across these people occasionally because we are all out in public, but this guy is over the top (you may think it could be worse but obnoxious odor is obnoxious odor whether applied or secreted).
My favorite is the trainers and their students who gather in the doorway, sit on the stairs and stop in the elevator doors blocking the doors. Why the doorway? People use this to enter and exit. Either leave or come in. It isn’t a tough decision, just choose one. Don't even get me started on the Pool (or read previously blogs, your choice).
I can hear my mother's voice in my head asking me,”'why do you let this stuff bother you"? The answer is: I believe in consideration! I guess because people are just not mindful of others around them and I try to be mindful to them, it frustrates me.
So spread the word. Being considerate is cool and appreciated. Narcissism is neither.
Play hard& be mindful.
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment