Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Shameless self promotion

Hi! It's Laura.

Have you ever watched the Biggest Loser?  I will happily admit that I do and enjoy it. It used to be the only reality television show that I watched but I no longer have those bragging rights.

So last night's episode's twist was the team that lost the challenge loses right to the gym for a week.

You would have thought the host of the show told them that they had to give up their legs for a week.  My goodness.

It did remind me of my original thoughts on starting Inspired!  In the real world there is no "super trainer" screaming in your face pushing you to work (and you probably don't want that either) If you do go to the gym, you do have to deal with the nonsense that goes on there which we have discussed at length here.

So, some people choose not to use a gym and they were my original target audience. Other people don't want the expense or can't get to gym because it doesn’t fit their commuting schedule (the instant gratification generation needs the “Super Convenient Gym”).

I get it. Been there, done that.  But does that mean you have to sacrifice your health & fitness goals? I think we all know the answer the questions already but just in case, “Fitness Goals do not require a Gym!”

The hardest part is where to begin.

Cardio is the most obvious and the easiest. Running is not for everyone but walking is great exercise. I think most people have sidewalks or walkways. How about stairs? Do you have them in your office building? I know at least one of my students runs stairs in her apartment building every day.  Do you own a bicycle?  I know it is cold outside now, but you have the desire, they sell a stand that allows you to turn your bike into a stationary bike in your own home (I used to have one it was great).  I was going to suggest things like Wii and the Xbox 360 but if you wanted to work out at home, you probably already have one.

On to strength.  The basics: pushup and sit-ups.  The pushup, in my opinion, is the single greatest exercise. It works your chest, back, arms, shoulders and core.  If you cannot do a standard pushup, start on your knees, there is NO SHAME in that. Every day try to do at least one more than you did the day before (if you are challenged with them, I can help you because, after all, that is my job) ACSM recommends for woman between the ages of 30-50 and average of 15 pushups for men in the same age groups an average of 18. Test yourself and see where you are.

The same stair running student of mine also does her pushups every day. She has the awesome arms to show for it (no bicep curls required).

As for core strength training, your basic sit-up will get the job done, just be careful. If you have any lower back issues, you may want to modify them just a bit with something like a Swiss ball. If you are reluctant to do sit-ups because of LBP, email me and I can set you up with some core exercises that should work your core and not hurt your back.

As for the rest of your body, I am keeping those exercises to myself for now in hopes that one of you wants me to train you. And if you are interested in being trained by me and you don't have a gym or a convenient location, I do.  I have a contract with a gym in NOHO that is specifically for personal trainers and their clients and I have Central Park (although the gym has showers). If you want to set up a session or have any questions, let me know.


Play hard & stay fit!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment