Normally I share my experiences during training and the epiphanies that come along the way. But today I would like to share something that came along in a conversation.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."-Albert Einstein.
More often than not, I hear people complaining that they go to the gym, they eat right but they still can't lose weight. More often than not, I see people at the gym running the same three miles on the tread mill, lifting the same amount of weight & doing the same exercise or doing the same 30 minutes on the elliptical. Continuing on that path will yield you the same results (bad technique is bad also but that is a different day’s entry).
The answer is yes; your body can get used to exercise. As your fitness level increases, you need to; push harder or you can change things up, to achieve your goal (eliminating goals isn’t very helpful).
There are physiological adaptions your body performances in order to make you more efficient. Changing that is called overload. In order to combat these adaptions we use frequency, intensity, time & type. Using the F.I.T.T. principal allows you to break the cycle and achieve the results you are looking to achieve.
If you find you are always on the tread mill, try a cycling class. If you are always doing the same strength moves, add additional reps or additional sets. ideally you want to change your workout routine every four weeks and not get stuck in a rut.
If you are not sure how to change up what you are currently doing in the gym, email me. I will happily help you get unused to it.
Play hard & be sane!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment