Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2012

Dear Abby,...

Yesterday I got the chance to be in the gym at “Prime Time” and was sorely reminded of why I do not go at “Prime Time”. OMG!  First the pool (yes, again). When the pool is crowded, please refrain from standing in the water, at the end of the lane while having a conversation with a person standing on deck.  Not only is this rude it is dangerous for the other swimmers. If you want to have a conversation, GET OUT OF THE POOL. I am new to swimming but I am pretty sure that is proper etiquette

Why is it so difficult to have manners in the gym?

I like to think that I walk fast enough on the streets and that when I do need to stop, I move to the side and out of the way. If I am "texting and driving" (not real driving, I am still talking about walking) I am aware that I walk slower, and move closer to the buildings looking up often.

When I wear earphones, I have not forgotten that I am wearing them and start singing like I am in the shower (I don't actually sing in the shower, even I don't want to hear me sing).

I also know that technology has improved greatly over the last 10 years that I do not need to scream into my cell phone for the other person to hear me.

So if all that is not bad enough, the gym seems to be worse. So here we go with “Gym Etiquette 101”.

·         Be Polite and Wipe - If you sweat on a machine, wipe it off.  If the person before you left it sweaty, you would be peeved. Don’t be that person.
·         Maintain Radio Silence - Don’t talk on the phone.  If you are talking on a phone, you’re not working hard enough (yeah, forget that “should be able to talk” line a few blogs ago. That was guideline not an order). No one wants to hear your conversation at the gym or anywhere else for that matter.
·         Less is More - Overstaying your welcome on a cardio machine can cause animosity. (I am so guilty of this but I don't training during “Prime Time”.)
·         Put’m Back Where You Found’m - Put your toys away.  My mom said you can't play with another until you put the others away first. I didn’t get this until I got older. Be considerate and put the weights and equipment back where they belong. Who knows, if everyone did this, you could find it the next time you wanted it.
·         No Loitering - Don't hover over the machine you want (How would like it? It’s like reading over someone’s shoulder).
·         Don’t Be Late for Class – This is my biggest pet peeve.  Since when does a 6:00 start time mean 6:05 or even 6:20? (Only in the movies does it start 20 minutes after the start time but at least I get previews.)
·         Cover Up - The locker room is not your bathroom (and I don’t care how good you think you look naked).
·         If it IS Broke… - Be a good gym citizen. If the treadmill or TV on the treadmill is not working, let the staff know.
·         Play Nice - When you share a machine with someone and another person was there first, but the weight back to their weight (even if they don’t because you are better than that!).
·         That Doesn’t Go There – Workout equipment and exercise pieces are not lockers nor are they coat hangers. Put your shit away and keep it out of other people's way.
·         It feels good but It Ain’t Sex - Keep your grunts groans and singing to yourself.  Lifting too much weight or setting the resistance too high on the elliptical is a private matter.

Etiquette sounds simple enough I know but it is so difficult for so many people to do.  Use this rule of thumb, if you don't want to hear it, smell it or sit in it, neither does anyone else.

Happy MLK weekend!

Play hard & be courteous!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment