Search This Blog

Monday, June 18, 2012

1400


Hi. It's Laura

Happy Monday!



On Monday's I swim. I look at it as getting it over with. I am sure by now I have shared with you my dislike for the pool. Nothing against the pool. The pool itself is beautiful. 5 lanes, no reservation required, open swim for most of the day and clean. The JCC takes great care of the pool. I may smell like chlorine after a swim but there is no mold or mildew anywhere to be seen.



The 6th floor has floor to ceiling windows. So when the sun is shining, it reflects right down into the water. Early morning you can watch the sunrise. All in all it is  beautiful except for the people. Today I had no issues (shocker!) and got to enjoy the pool in relative quietness.



There is a second small family pool in the back where you can hear the families singing and playing games. But once you get to the far side of the pool you can't hear a thing plus your head is underwater (at least is should be).



With that said, I was seriously dreading going there today. I did wait until after the morning crowd was finished before I headed over (the beauty of a non-corporate job). That was not because of the pool or the people but because of the task in front of me today: 1400 meters.



There is a Lululemon coming to my corner and there is all this wonderful inspirational saying all over the boards covering the renovations. The one that keeps catching my eye: “Do one thing every day that scares you”. Some days that is just getting out of bed. That was not today. 1400 meters scared me.



I learned how to swim for sport in September. Although I grew up down the Jersey Shore and with a pool in the backyard, the best I could ever muster was a doggie paddle from one side of the pool to the other and holding my breath swimming underwater (it’s an above ground pool so it might be 10 meters long). In the ocean, I was jumping waves and trying to body surf (never could do it, still can't). That was the extent of my “swimming”.



The fact that I swam 1400 meters today to me is pretty awesome and really mind-blowing. You know I have a plan but see it come out as expected is magnificent.



Before I can actually do the triathlon I need to complete an open water swim of at least a 1/2 mile. The regulators do not require any documentation but are relying on the honor system. So, if you say you did it, you did it. I will be doing my open water swim this week. Yummy yum, salt water!



19 days to go!



I will post for you the spectator information later this week. I would love it if you would come out to cheer me on.



Play hard!

Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment