Hi. It's Laura.
Today is one of those days where I don't know where to start.
Nothing has happened that is story worthy. The Brain is quiet because I am sticking to the plan. This week is a recovery week so it’s a little easier than last week and is definitely easier than next week. So perhaps just some catching up
I had a great swim on Monday. A little lightning is a great thing. When there is a lightning strike, the JCC closes the pool for twenty minutes after the last strike. Apparently there was lightening Monday morning and I arrived at the pool just as it was reopening.
I had no idea when I was walking up the stairs to enter the pool deck. Imagine my surprise when there was only ONE person in the pool. Yahoo! I picked my lane and swam with as much of a smile on my face as one can while they are swimming. Of course it never lasts for long, because people come in, but I cannot argue about sharing the lane with one other person. My lane wound up having three people by the time I was finished. I do treasure mornings like Monday.
One thing I did learn during my swim is that it is not like running or riding. Spare me the "duh" please. What I mean is, during a run, I can allow my mind to wander. During a ride, I can actually listen to the music in my ears. However, during a swim I can do nothing but focus on the swim. Twice on Monday I allowed my mind to wander just a bit and wound up with a mouth full of water. Oops. Clearly swimming does not come easy for me.
And speaking of the swim, part of the requirement for the Tri is an open water swim. Thank goodness I have a brother who happens to be a lifeguard and an excellent swimmer. We have a date set for him to "guard" me in the ocean. Yes, the ocean, which will require a wetsuit.
I have one of those or at least I thought I did. I have said before, I will say it again, nothing should be new on race day. With that in mind, I decided to try on my wet suit yet again. Before I did, I looked up how a wet suit should fit. I think I know I have worn one before but that was for diving not a tri and all wet suits are not created equal. My tri suit will be a little thicker in the arms and torso but more flexible in the shoulders so you can move your arms to swim. The website explained in detail, A) how to put it on and B) how it should feel.
I got it on but it was not quite right so I called the company from where I bought and we decided that I needed a different suit. It’s on it way and should be here by Friday. Not exactly a new pair of Jimmy Choo's but still exciting. [Editor’s note: If you are not a female, Jimmy Choo shoes are like the 50 yard seats for the Super Bowl and just as expensive.]
Tuesday I rode. You may have noticed the weather feels more April than June. I donned by bike shorts, riding top and helmet along with sunglasses and SPF and headed out the door. I got as far as 79th St before I decided it was cold. GRRR. I have to go home. I will never make an hour dressed this way no matter how warm June should be. Once I leave the house and "official time" begins I don't really want to stop but didn't have much choice. Once I leave the house I also don't like to go back because I am afraid of disrupting The Dog. I know. Weird! He is just a dog, but he is my dog and I don't want to make him miss more than he has too. Of course he was very happy to see me and activated the springs in his feet to show me just how much. I fix my bigger problem and add a long sleeve shirt, calf compression sleeves as well as gloves and head back out.
The temp yesterday for a run was perfect (add 20 degrees to the current temp to figure out your clothing, i.e. 54 degrees will feel like 74 when you’re running). For cycling however, it was chilly but absolutely beautiful in the morning. I took Riverside Drive up and over the GWB
Well worth the ride.
As for today, I was really looking forward to a fabulous run this morning. The air was crisp, no clouds and I only had a five miler so it would be easy, right? I wish. The morning started just fine. a cup of water, a cup of coffee and out the door. The walk to the park was stimulating the weather was just perfect and I was feeling inspired by my Blondish Friend from a conversation we had over dinner last night. She asked first, where she should stand to cheer me on for the Tri and what I would need. What would I need? I thought about that during the run and thought about what that meant. It made me all verklempt.
A big sign would be nice but I would like shouting more and in multiple places since I will be out there on my own. And just so you know, you cannot cheer me on during the ride but I won't need it there. I will need it during the run the most since that is the last leg.
Anyway, that was my last pleasant thought of the morning but only because my tummy decided it was his turn to talk. And talk it did, through the rest of the run. Of course he was the loudest when I was the furthest from home. I have never had to stop in the middle of a training run (that I can remember) to answer a call to nature and today was the exception. Today the tummy won and I am home not feeling well today but happy that I was able to get the 5miles in.
Play hard!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment