Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2012

A Day at the Races


Hi. It's Laura.



Saturday morning I ran the NYC Road Runners Mini 10K. I ran a 10 minute mile and finished in 1:02:57. I have to say, I am quite proud of time.



I have never been a very fast runner and considering the elites finished in about 30 minutes (ridiculous), I did ok. But a funny thing happened on the way to the races...



Nerves! WTF?



Ever since I signed up for this race I have considered it just a training run with the slight difference of I get a finishers medal at the end. I was using this race to practice getting into the corral and running with other people. I have not run a race since I completed the Long Branch Half Marathon in 2009 and I figured I should get used it. The plan was do the bike tour to ride with other people and run the race to run with others.



I had my Saturday morning coffee, put on my running gear and my bib with my race number on it and headed to the park (like any other Saturday). On my way, I started to get a little quivery in the knees and a little shaky. As I get closer to the park, I see way more people than I am used to on Saturday morning. All were headed in the same direction towards 72nd St. Now I have to pee because nerves do that to me. (FYI the race starts at 8 and I left home at 7:15.) I stop at the porta potties at the 72nd st entrance (not typical for a Saturday) and then start heading down to what I think is the start line, turns out it was the finish line.



The park is packed with women. The CEO, Mary Wittenberg is making announcements somewhere in the park. I can hear her but cannot see her anywhere. I would call the park organized chaos. Women are walking to the baggage drop, walking to the start line, finding friends and everyone was moving in all directions. I am looking for the starting line. I thought I heard someone say it was out on 61st so I head in that direction. Why don't I know where the start line is? I am sure it was written somewhere and I just missed it. As I walk through the park, the lines for the bathrooms are crazy long. I think I have to go again but I will not make the start of the race if I wait. It’s all just psychological anyway (if I have to go at the start of the Tri, I can just pee in the water. YAY).



I find my corral 7,000-7999. It’s kind of empty which I am ok with until I realize I am closer to the back of the pack than the front :( I thought I was more the middle of the pack oh well.



Interesting what happens when you are waiting to start. Some people are nervous. They have never run this far before and have been training for months. Others run this park and this distance all the time and are not worried. Some are here with their friends for a fun run. Regardless of the reason, I stood in silence and questioned my own ability. The women around me look pretty comfortable maybe I don't belong here, what if I finish last?



The race started 2 minutes early. Up Central Park West we go as a group at fairly quick pace. According to my Garmin we were at a 6:52 pace. Crazy fast, elite fast. Thank goodness this doesn't last, it can’t, I can't. During the first mile at its rapid pace, women have already begun to walk and slow down considerably. I think to myself “wait until you hit the big hills”.



I found a nice comfortable place to hang out and kept my pace (which is still faster than my normal pace) until we get to the big hill. I climb this hill several times a week. I know what it takes to get up it. The women around me are dropping back quickly and a lot are having a difficult time keeping the pace up the hill. Of course the one woman who just walked up, I passed her, she took advantage of the downhill and passed me. Little did she know there was another big hill coming and I passed her again on that one (never saw her again).



Halfway there.



The second half was completely uneventful, as I was hoping it would be. There was no pushing and shoving, no fighting for placement. Everywoman ran her race with the politeness I wished would continue on the streets and the subways.



The last 800 meters of the race are rolling hills. I do my best to avoid this part of the park on my training runs just because I don't want to finish up hill. When you hit the 800 meter sign, you start to climb, ugh. It flattens out again and there is another hill at the 400 meter sign. Lastly the finish line is at the top of the last hill. On my way into the finish, I hear my name. I look, it’s The Husband! YAY!! He cheers me into the finish and meets me on the other side. I collect my finisher’s medal and my husband. We walk home (like we do every Saturday).



Off to the Belmont Stakes to watch the horses run instead of people.



Overall a great run and a great race.



Play hard!

Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment