Hi. It's Laura.
10 Days to go!
What comes now?
Today is my last big swim and yesterday was my last big run.
I am not a huge fan of working out in the afternoon, at least outside. But unfortunately, sometimes you don't have a choice. Yesterday afternoon, just as the heat was settling in, I headed out for my run. My training plan required a 75 minute run which is approximately 7.5 miles for me.
You may recall how much I love that 7 mile run. I really did want to avoid the lower part of the park. In the mornings, that part is usually quite crowded. Then after 8am, they open that part to cars which adds heat and a lot of congestion.
Keeping in mind nothing should be new on race day, I decided to run the course. I omitted the run-out from Riverside Park up to 72nd Street just because the ramp leading down to the promenade is still under repair.
I spoke with a park worker yesterday and he assured me that it will be fixed prior to the triathlon next Sunday. He also informed me that my fear over the dirty Hudson is unfounded. Remember I mentioned the dead fish, he let me know, fish die. Of course they do( my mother kills enough of them in her koi pond). I forgot that we are not the killers of all fish but they can actual die of natural causes (go figure).
Anyway, I started at 72nd Street and Riverside, ran across 72nd to Central Park and in doing so became one the people the husband hates. (There is park, go run in it not on the sidewalk. [Editor’s note: That’s right!]). I tried to stay on the shady side of the street.
Ugh, people everywhere all over the sidewalk, jaywalking, crossing the street in bunches and cars double parked. It was quite the adventure getting across town but it did only take me six minutes. I run this park all the time so there should be no surprises for me as far as hills go. I was surprised to be slightly disoriented after I got into the Park. I usually enter at 77th street so entering at 72nd threw me just a little. Up and down the rolling hills I went with the sun beating hard on my back.
Hot and tired and having no idea how far I have run so far (my GPS mysteriously had no battery left in it and had to resort to my standard heart rate monitor) I approached the big hill.
*Warning this may be a little mean spirited.
I could not help but be a little entertained at the tourists trying to make it up the big hill on heavy bikes. I watched more than one dismount their bike and walk it. In their defense, the bikes were rentals from Bike & Roll and the Boat House. I am pretty sure they are not the best bikes money can buy nor do they have a lot of gears to assist them up that hill.
I can only take pleasure in them not being able to make it up that hill because “been there, done that”. It has just been a while since I couldn’t.
The less entertaining part came along the east side where I observed a family, all overweight, pulled over on Cat Hill, drinking Gatorade &resting about a quarter of the way up. Of course they were blocking the pedestrian path. Why Gatorade? They hadn't done anything yet worthy of a drink like that (I have issues with calorie laden sports drinks we can discuss another time).
I get passed it and turned the corner onto the 72nd Street crossover. I saw the finish line or at least where the finish line will be next Sunday.
I have come a long way since Monday when I was completely freaking out about this upcoming race. Running the course helped me visualize the last leg and assured me that I can.
After the swim today, I begin to taper down and head into resting before the big day. The resting is going to be the hardest part because as a competitive person and a newbie at Tri will want to do more when I know I shouldn't.
Play hard!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment