Search This Blog

Friday, February 17, 2012

Exercise Induced

Hi. It's Laura

Happy Friday!

Even though it’s a mild winter, my nose always seems run while I run. As matter of fact, my nose runs during ALL exercises. It drives me crazy.  I used to carry along tissues while I ran but gave it up mostly out of shear laziness. My sleeve works just as well.  I would like to point out it is not just the winter that brings on the runny nose. It is all year round.  I watch other runners in the park and I don't see anyone else having the same sinus issues that I am having but there has got to be others. They just might be more stealth than I am about blowing their nose on their sleeve. (EWWWW)

In addition to runny noses here are some other strange things the body does while exercising:

Yawning:   I have read that yawning is triggered by improper breathing when the yawning occurs at the end of an exercise. Allot athletes yawn prior to exercise, which could be the body's way of transitioning from sedentary to exercise. It can also be triggered by excitement or anticipation of an upcoming event, such as right before a race.

Flatulence:  I noticed a lot of this going on during martial classes, most typically grappling, which makes sense if you understand grappling. But there is such a thing as exercised induced flatulence.  Exercise produces excess gas mostly brought on by swallowing air during aerobic exercises.  Once you start working on your core and create pressure around your abdomen, presto! 

Muscle Cramps:  The Husband suffers from these all the time but his are not exercise induced at least not directly.  Muscles cramps, caused by exercise, are mostly brought on my dehydration. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids.

and lastly,

Heartburn:  Heart burn brought on by exercise is usually due to vigorous activity that moves the content of your stomach into your esophagus.  If this is what troubles you during exercise you may want to focus on more low impact exercises.

If you have been suffering from any of the above symptoms know they are completely normal and maybe a little embarrassing. There is nothing better than walking down the street with snot on your face.

If something changes or gets worse, check with your doctor.

Enjoy the long weekend!

Play hard!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment