Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Who is that Woman?

Hi. It's Laura.

Q: What's harder than a Monday? A: Tuesday when Monday is a holiday. 

This morning at 5:30 I was trying to convince myself that I was sick. I really, really did not want to go to the pool (especially after not getting there before 6:00am. Laura self-imposed rule #1). I contemplated moving my run to the afternoon because I just did not feel like going after being off for three days. (I called in sick yesterday. Who calls in sick to herself?).

I took an extra day for the weekend because I just could not find the energy to even walk across the room let alone run 4.5 miles. So I did what you do on a sick day, I watched cheesy movies and drank tea (and there was a blanky involved).

After hemming and hawing, the temp on the TV was 45degree. This is important for dressing purposes. For running add 20 degree to equal the layering you would wear out walking. So what should I wear for 65 degrees?  Normally I would have figured this out the night before, but since I was supposed to swim this morning and not run, I was confused.  I said to The Husband, “What did you wear?”  He explains (Editor’s Note: I was a little obtuse this morning. Blame the dog and the 4am wakeup call), I dress. Again to The Husband, (as I reappear in the kitchen) “Is this good enough?” The Husband replies, “Oh sure that will be fine!”

Yeah. So I froze all the way to the park cursing The Husband the entire way. Upon crossing Columbus avenue toward Central Park , the wind, (oh The Husband, you forgot to mention the wind [Editor’s Note: What Wind?]).  So, I plot my revenge for the rest of the walk to the park. I was also trying to figure out my route because I am tired and don't feel like working all that hard today. I got a signal on my GPS, hit start and off I went, like a robot.  I forgot to finish my plan of my route and my body just took me the regular way.  4.5 miles later, I land home feeling much better but not less tired.

I believe in planned breaks from exercise and linear periodization allows for those breaks. When you build in the break, you are ready to come back and when you do, you are stronger for it.  Illness, although unplanned, is another period where you should stay home and rest (you already wore yourself out, why add insult to injury).

I have read that if you really, really want to exercise while you have a cold (as long as it is only a head cold), you should be fine. But once it gets in to your chest, stay home.  Usually, as we recover from illness, we WANT to get back to our exercise routine. It makes us feel better, feel normal. Be smart.

At the start of this week, I did not want to come back. I wanted to stay home and stay in bed and it made no sense to me.  I love the routine of working out in the morning and I love the way I feel and the progress that I have made in my fitness. So why the lazy streak? Honestly, I just don't know.

I am already motivated so that’s not the problem.
I am not injured, so that’s not it.

I am not sick, not that either.

I tried to find an article or a website that would help me figure it out and name what happened but to my chagrin, I found nothing as of yet. 

I am happy to say that I did go out this morning as you already have read. So let's hope Lazy Laura does not rear her apathetic arse again anytime soon.

Play hard!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment