Hi!
It's Laura.
Happy Monday!
Monday's are hard. I don't care what industry you are in starting the week off is just difficult after spending two days off. When your morning starts off at 5:00 (4:57 ugh! this morning, thank you bladder) and its below 30 degrees, it can be even more daunting to get the week started. I am proud of our home this morning. Everyone got up (always a great start) and headed out the door at 5:30ish to get their workouts in.
I talk a lot about adaptation of your body so I have changed things up once again. Monday, Wednesday and Friday are swim day. YES! There was drama in the pool this morning. It’s every day and I swear it is worse than children at recess. I stayed out of the drama this morning and almost killed myself getting through the 600 yard swim. Normally I head up to the treadmill but I know I am not getting the workout I need to get so I headed home and donned my outdoor running gear.
I really thought I my hair would be dry from swimming (and two showers! ) before I headed out the door , alas, it was not. I really, REALLY thought it was going to freeze but to my surprise, it didn't! I froze, but the hair was fine.
During my run (not solving world problems today), I realized I have completely misnamed this blog. Although I am training for a triathlon, my training’s focus is not for it just yet. To quote an old manager of mine I am getting ready to get ready. LOL! So maybe the names should be “getting ready to train for a triathlon” or “pre training for triathlon” or maybe “just training”.
So I said to myself, “no, no, no” [Editor’s note: LOL], you are training for the triathlon but you just have not kicked it into high gear. The climb to peak performance is gradual. I need to work on form and technique, not to mention my swimming endurance. That does not happen in the last sixteen weeks of training. I need to get into athletic shape in order to perform like an athlete. (I do the triathlon in my head often during my training times.)
As I am getting ready to get ready, I focus on technique in order to perform better and not injure myself. Last Wednesday, I observed a woman running up hill. She was nearly bent in half trying to get up the hill. Owie ow, that has got to hurt not just while she is running but afterwards as well. You want to stay upright to help improve your lung capacity and stride length.
The last thing any of us want is to hurt ourselves , age is doing a good enough job on all of us you don't need to start throwing in self-inflicted weight training or running injuries in to the mix ( I would add swimming injuries but I don't know what those are yet other than wanting to kill other swimmers). Watching people in the gym is probably not ideal when it comes to proper technique as you have seen from my photo montage. Look online as there are plenty of website that will demonstrate proper technique or tips on how to improve technique.
Or you could hire a trainer (I know one who is available) .
Play hard & run straight!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment