Hi. It's Laura.
I talk about being flexible in order to fit in your exercise (not the touch your toes kind of flexible) and changing things up in order to "trick” your body into working for you.
I may have also mentioned the silly rules that we create for ourselves that prevent of doing our daily exercise. Well I was gently reminded yesterday morning that just because you don't make your workout in the morning (no matter how OCD you are), you can still do it in the afternoon.
I am probably one of the least flexible people I know (that whole control freak thing) and this week has certainly been a test. (who is administering and who is actually keeping score I am not quite sure?)
The week that started with a red letter day is winding up into a topsy-turvy week.
Monday & Tuesday went as planned: swimming and running on Monday, strength training and cycling on Tuesday.
Hello Wednesday! I got up at my normal time, sipped my coffee, sneezed three times (ignored smart ass comment from The Husband) and went back to bed. This is rare. If I skip my morning workout, I am very unlikely to get it done during the day (call this Laura rule #1). Bitching and moaning over breakfast about how “I can’t work out now”, The Husband kept saying, “yes you can”… “yes you can”… “yes you can”... SHUT UP ALREADY!
So I put it in my head that I would run in the afternoon after all my work was done. At 3:00PM I donned my running shoes and out I went. Lo and behold, I didn't die from an afternoon workout.
Thursday: strength & cycling (in that order or rule #2). Strength training was great but the Livestrong bike computer was broken, can't use that one. Espresso bike next. Weird! I can’t use that one. Standard stationary Cybex bike is what i settle on. Boring! However, I did it although not the same workout. So I moved onto the elliptical after 30 minutes out of shear boredom.
Friday: (the topper) the poor dog was sick again had The Husband up and down all night long. So at 4:45 AM I decide to get up and join the poor sleepy husband who must have given up on sleep after the third trip outside with the dog.
When I rolled over to get out of bed I thought that it was awful bright out for that hour of the morning. It was only because it was NOT 4:45, it was 6:45. WHAT?! I get up, no dog and no husband. What the #@$%? Turns out I forgot to set my alarm and, in his sleepiness, the husband turned changed the time zone on the ceiling clock to MST. Now what? I can't work out now I have to get to fairway market before 8:00 or it’s just miserable (rule #3, but a very good rule).
I compromise yet again (my word, what is happening to me) and got to the store first thing, THEN go for a 5 mile run.
My point? You can change the rules. You made the rules that are governing your life and you can change them. I will still make every effort to keep to my schedule. I like my schedule and I live in NYC so even at 5:00 am things are crowded. I just prefer those crowds to the 3:00pm crowd. Just because this week’s life got out of control, moving things around didn't kill me and no house fell on me (or my little dog too).
Enjoy the weekend and the Super Bowl.
Play hard!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment