Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Indoors or Outdoors?

Hi It's Laura.

Normally I do not wait for the warmer weather to begin my runs outside.  I run outside all year round (July & August,? not my favorites) and very much enjoy the dark and the cold of 5:30 a.m. in Central Park.

At that time of day, it’s quiet, no pedestrians, no tourists and/or no cars. Only the “die-hards” standing up to the normal twenty-ish degree weather.

So the crowd is thin and I know every one of those faces as I have looked at them for years. (NOTE: I did not run outdoors last year or even run indoors due to knee surgery.)
In order for me to be able to run on the tread mill I need to be highly entertained. I am usually watching television and listening to music all while watching everyone in the gym.

I find the treadmill extremely boring and far less challenging than any outdoor run.  It is my belief that you work harder outside than in. Outside you need to actually propel yourself forward during the run. You must pull yourself up hills and control your speed on the downhill , all the while burning calories.  The treadmill does this all for you (I know you can adjust the incline) so I do not believe it is the same.

I feel the same about cycling. I will save my outdoor rides for warmer weather. Right now, it is just too cold. If you are moving the bike at 10MPH and its it is 40 degrees outside (I know there is a formula to figure out wind-chill but my math skills are reserved for training math only).  So let’s just say it’s cold. 

I have been chilled to the bone riding in Central Park when its 65 degrees so I can only imagine how cold it would be at 40. I have recently discovered Livestrong bikes in my gym and I like them as much as you can like an indoor stationary bike. It projects outside on your screen while taking you through rolling hills and pretty parks in Utah, Vermont and California. I find that I stay on it longer than I would any traditional bike and this is a good thing but no substitute for the real thing.

In addition to being a better workout, there are no phone calls, emails or texts when you are outside (you would definitely be THAT guy if you brought along your phone). And you can let your mind wander (careful in traffic) and be free for a half hour. While I am writing this, I am thinking of all the time I spend outside. The dog has gone for his third walk already today (talk about high maintenance ). We will still spend an hour in the dog park not to mention skiing on the weekends. No wonder I have such rosy cheeks!

This has been a fairly mild winter and it does the mind & body good to get some fresh air.  Take advantage of it before it gets winter returns again. I ran outside last week twice, once in shorts!  Of course not all exercise can be done outside easily, like weight lifting so let's be practical. 

Go for a walk outside or a run and I promise you, you will feel great!

Play hard!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment