Search This Blog

Friday, March 2, 2012

Damnit! It's Important

Hi. It's Laura!

Happy Friday!

There is no better way to end the week knowing that you accomplished what you set out to do.

Killed it this week in the gym!  I hit every scheduled workout maybe not at the time they were scheduled for but they still got done and I end the week feeling very accomplished and very healthy.

Speaking of health, have I mentioned the benefits of exercise? I know I have that was rhetorical.

Exercise makes us feel good, it elevates our mood and like I mentioned earlier, make us feel better about ourselves.

We look better. Both cardio and strength training improve the shape of our muscles and make them look toner (because they are) which makes you more attractive. Strength training can help prevent osteoporosis and offset the effects of aging.  As we get older, we lose muscle to help prevent that we exercise.

Cardiovascular exercise benefits are many.
·         Decrease heart rate and blood pressure
·         Increased threshold for the onset of disease
·         Reduce total body fat
·         Reduce the need for insulin
·         Increased exercise is associated with lower death rate from heart attacks and strokes
·         Decreased anxiety and/or depression
·         Reduced the risk of falls

I can go on but I think you get the idea.  I bring this up again today because I read an article in the NY Times yesterday about a study on why moving is so important.  The idea of the article is that lack of exercise increases the risk for type 2 diabetes and you do not have to be overweight to achieve that goal.   Here is the article.  Read it. It’s disturbing.

ACSM (my certification) and the American Heart Association recommend a MINIMUM of 30 minutes of cardiovascular training most days of the week which does not have to be done all at once during the day ( it can be done in 10 min increments) .  If you need help figuring out how to get it in to your schedule or if you know someone else who needs help, let me know, I will help.  You MUST exercise (or you will die).

Have a great weekend!

Play hard & keep moving!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment