Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Nothing ventured

Hi. It's Laura.

Happy Monday!

I would like to share that I happily sore today after an adventurous weekend.  I did mention that after eighteen years of skiing, I was going to try snowboarding for the first time. And I did. 

I cannot tell a lie. I expected to walk into the lesson and be good right out of the gate. OMG, my stomach hurts from laughing so hard at that one.  Don’t get me wrong, this thought is not terribly crazy. First, I have a great sense of balance (martial arts for 11 years, gymnastics as a kid). Second, my center of gravity is pretty low. Third, I’m athletic. Fourth, I got up on the board and surfed to the beach on my first try at surfing. And fifth but most important, I have been skiing for eighteen years. So I was sure I was going to nail this with no problem.

Well it is not as easy as it looks. I spent the morning falling on my knees and/or falling on my butt. With the warmish weather, I got very wet hands from pushing myself out of the snow. As if that was not enough, we went back out after lunch to practice (practice falling I am guessing but there was not actually riding on my part).

My friend, who skied only once before in her life, (we will call her The Snow Newbie) was lapping me (how embarrassing). The Snow Newbie was on the magic carpet and making it down the mountain beautifully (that carpet is an evil contraption meant to cause maximum discomfort).  I am glad someone had a good time.  The Husband quit at lunch and beat us all to the sofa for afternoon naps. [Editor’s note: I respectfully declined to continue since I knew I was going back to skiing immediately. I also was the best in the class so it wasn’t quitting!]

The point:  I tried something new and was not good at it but kept trying because it was fun. Despite all of the falling, we laughed our butts off. We all woke up pretty sore Sunday morning (I feel like I did a million pushups) and viewed my skiing on Sunday with a new perspective and inspired by The Snow Newbie who was willing to try something way outside her comfort zone. 

So inspired in fact, I am adding another event to my Spring calendar. the NYCRR Mini  on June 9th.  The Mini is a 10K in Central Park (10k is 6.2 miles). It starts that Saturday morning at 8am and I am inviting you to join me! Challenge yourself, there is plenty of time to train for this event, and do something you have not done before or have not done in while.  If you decide to take the challenge, do it NOW. These events fill up fast. Please let me know when you register

Play hard & be inspired!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment