Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

Oh, the guilt


Hi. It's Laura.



Some of you will probably laugh, some will shake their head at the silliness of it and others will nod in agreement. I am also sure I am not the only one that goes through this. 

The alarm went off at regular time, I got up, fell back to sleep but only for five minutes (where I had the wackiest dream about losing my phone in the log flume ride. I have no idea why). I had a little coffee and got ready for my run. I checked the temperature (but not the wind, duh) and began my walk to the park. I was cold because I was underdressed and just not feeling the willingness to run. So I tried to talk myself into it when normally I don't even think about it, I just go. But this morning, my butt was dragging. Once I got to Columbus Avenue, I turned around and went home. I acknowledged that I was undressed and that the run was going to be miserable so I thought to myself, I will go to the gym.

I got home, changed into more appropriate clothes and headed to the gym. Once there, I jumped on the treadmill and realized I had to pee (procrastinating perhaps). I get back to the treadmill, picked up my water bottle and towel and went home (again).
A baseball bat to my knee caps and a skull would have been a less severe beating.
 I can beat myself up pretty good but I just could not get myself to do anything this morning. 

Once the self-flagellations ended, I realized I have not taken a day off in nearly three weeks. The Husband and I ski on the weekends and, although that is not running or riding, it is still a workout. Today, my body told me I was tired (I was not listening).

So now I have to live my day with guilt. Why guilt? There should be no guilt in taking a day off (this is the logical trainer talking not the girl who strives to be my picture of perfect). As a matter of fact, you should take days off. I just haven't because I am on a mission. The Husband and I discussed it this morning: when you fail, you learn. You should not beat yourself up (so much easier said, than done). I tried a Google search on guilt and skipping a workout and it all points to versions of eating disorders which makes sense to me.  

In grappling when you got yourself into a bad position, and you tried different things to get yourself out of the position, you don't curse because you got caught. I am trying to apply the same logic today.  

Trainer talk: You need to take days off to let your body recover and can come back stronger. Your body only benefits from a day of rest. When is the last time you injured yourself when you were fully rested? Although rest is an important part of training, take too many days off and your fitness level will start to decrease. This can happen in as little as 48 hours.  

I fully expect to ride the guilt rollercoaster today with moments of logic and no guilt and moments of beating me up for not being able to go to the gym today. I have every intention of doing my Friday workout on Saturday and getting back to my regular regime on Monday. 

Have a great weekend

Play hard & take a day off!
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment