Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Let the Training Begin


Hi. It's Laura 

Here we go! The 15 week countdown has begun before the NYC Triathlon. The NYC Tri is an Olympic (international) distance and consists of a 1.5 K swim (.9 miles), 40K (24.8 miles) bike ride and a 10K (6.2 mile) run.  

I am simultaneously training for a 10K run in June and the5 Boro Bike Tour in May. 

I know it sounds crazy but it makes sense to me. Competitions are way different than throwing on your running shoes and walking out the door. On race day there are crowds to deal with in the starting area. Most of them don't know where they are going or when. And like me, this is probably their first time. You have to get to the starting area, find the right corral and make sure you have all your gear including your chip & number. What I am saying there is plenty going on that you cannot train for UNLESS you do multiple races.  

The first half marathon I ran, I had no idea what to expect or how to run with large groups of people. Who knew there would be large groups of people? There is also plenty of waiting around for the race to start including false start on warming up. The first time I did the 5 Boro Bike Tour, I had no idea I had to ride a bike around so many other bikes. It is not easy. So I am practicing my large group take off by participating in other events before the main event. I have never done a swim event but I do swim at the JCC so that should cover a typical race start (a group of narcissists with guilt complexes about who they are? Check!). 

I know that there is no replacement or training that can substitute for the real day, with adrenaline and nerves but I can certainly try to create the conditions as close as possible.  

I am not so worried about the amount of people. After those two races, I should be feeling better about that. It is the adrenaline that worries me. 

Adrenaline can push you too hard to fast and when you get your heart racing you expend potentially needed energy using it up way to quickly and this will leave you with not enough gas in the tank.  

I know this from my days of competing in martial arts tournaments. The first time you fight someone, not only are you wearing all kinds of gear and a mouth guard ( blocking your mouth for that much needed air) , now someone is trying to punch you or tackle you to the ground (YIKES). The only way to overcome that fear is to do it over and over again. The same applies to any sport. 

So practice, practice, practice.  

Hard core training began this week. It started Monday with a 6.5 mile run and today completed a 30K indoor bike ride. Combine that along with a new round of strength training that incorporates the principals of periodization. Here we go! 

Remember the first time is always the hardest. But you always remember your first ;)
 

Play hard!

Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment