Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Panic

Hi. It's Laura


Yesterday I started checking out on the NYC Tri website.  I have not heard much from them yet (the event is in July). I like to look once in a while and re read what it’s all about, especially the FAQ's. And yesterday, I found myself looking at the Athlete's guide as well as the USAT rules.  

I was most interested in the swim wave start times, I know it’s going to start early but really had no idea what the start time would be. It looks to be around 6am, which I figure is not so bad considering I already get up at 5 (4am today, thanks to The Dog) .

I moved onto the FAQ’s. Now I have not created a website yet but my guess is that to create the FAQ's, they find “THAT GUY” in the crowd and just write down every stupid question he asks. Because to me, FAQ's are not that helpful most of the time because if you use a little logic you can probably figure it out.

This time, I found the questions, for the most part, logical and the answers informative (although the author had a bit of an attitude so I am guessing he/she is tired of answering stupid questions).

As I was reading, I found myself getting anxious. So I moved over to the course map.  I start with the run. It’s in Central Park (I got that). I move to the ride, West side Highway (I got that too I think).  I skipped the swim all together because I can't look. It made me too nervous. 

I start thinking about swimming in the Hudson (which according to the FAQ's is safe BTW) and by the time I finished, I was in a full out panic.  How will I know where to go? What if it rains? What if I can't find my bike in the transition? Can I listen to music? 

So in order to assuage my fear (or just fuel the fire), I decided to go to the USAT and see the actual rules for triathlons.
·         NO DRAFTING – ok, I know what that is and I do not know how to do it. Good there.
·         NO GLASS in the transition area – What idiot would do that?  Wait! Never mind. If it’s a rule the some genius did it
·         NO UNAUTHORIZED assistance – so apparently no one is allowed to help you ride your bike or run the race part or even push or propel  you through the swim- Hmmm?!  A race where you have to do it all yourself, interesting. (Let me write that down. Ok, got it.)

As I continue down the list of rules, I start to feel better. You are allowed any swim stroke as long as you are moving of your own volition. That alone makes me think I can do this. But we will see. I am here for two weeks then I will be gone for one. When I return, the 12 week countdown begins.

When I did my first martial arts tournament, there was no website about rules that I could check. I just showed up and fought, either on the ground (jujitsu) or on your feet (muay tai). I gave it my all because that is what I had been training to do. Same with my first half marathon, I ran and ran and ran and could do the work that was required to finish. Yes there is confusion at the start (mainly about where to go) but you are not alone. There are others there who are at their first one as well (I realize that I am talking myself down again as I write this).

SO here we go! For the next 15 weeks, I will run the gamut of sheer panic to overconfidence.

Please bear with me and cheer me on!

Play hard & stay calm.
Laura

NOTE: I have not heard from anyone that they have registered for the NYC Mini yet. Sooner is better than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment