Hi. It's Laura.
Happy Monday!
Before we left last week, I got on my soap box about exercising during vacation. I should really watch what I say.
We started the week celebrating our one year wedding anniversary with a snow cat pulled sleigh ride through the mud (I will explain). We were very lucky to have doggie day care for the weekend (The Parents "live" down the street) and completely took advantage of having them there as well as skipping some mountain hike/poop-runs for the first couple of days. There was no exercise on Sunday or Monday. As a matter of fact, there was no skiing. The temperatures hit 75 degrees on Sunday which brought about spring like conditions (SLCs). I am not a fan of SLCs which generally means the snow was very soft and mushy which makes it hard to "push” the snow. This is also when injuries tend to happen.
Because the snow is soft people tend to ski areas that they normally would not ski (we also call it Hero Snow). Remember I also tore my ACL and meniscus in soft snow last year so NO THANK YOU.
The Parents left on Monday and with it, dog care. The mountain was again 75 degrees on Monday and the mountain was quickly melting as we suspected it would, according to the forecasted weather. I will freely admit, I did no exercise on Monday. That is three days off for me. (YAY!) The Husband and The Dog climbed the home trail twice that day. Guilt begins.
A long story short: Tuesday 80 degrees, Wednesday 80 degrees, Thursday 75 degrees and the mountain was losing miles of terrain daily. We bought shorts and hiking boots to climb the home trail after Monday because doing it in jeans was just too darn hot! Some ski vacation?!
After Monday, I walked the home trail once a day. Let me tell you about the home trail. The home trail is a 1.5 miles ski run that leads from the bunny slope at the base lodge to our condo community. When is has snow on it, we can ski home from the mountain or walk the dog on it. We do hike more of since The Dog needs to get his exercise and it is a flat ski requiring much poling and skating. The trail itself is marked as a green trail which is "easy" but the beginning part of the trail (the end if you are skiing home) is a "blue " which is at least a 45 degree grade talk about a calf killer. So at the end of the day, we hiked 3 miles, 1.5 uphill. Of course the dog runs like a crazy wilderness animal (that he now believes he is) so he probably ran 10 miles each time.
Friday was only 65 degrees, so we played golf. I cannot tell you the last time I played golf on my ski vacation (that is because YOU DON’T PLAY GOLF ON SKI VACATIONS).
The mountain is almost closed and the snow is mostly gone so our ski season comes to an earlier end then we would have liked. But there is not much you can do about the weather.
The week felt long and the rest was definitely needed. As always, it is good to be home.
Play hard!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment