Hi. It's Laura.
Today is my last entry until next week. I am headed for the hills with The Husband and The Dog. I will nice to take a break from the everyday but I will definitely miss the daily routine of being able to go to the gym. In order not to lose much cardio and strength we will be skiing and hiking daily (skiing is not definite as the snow is melting rapidly with these spring like temperatures).
The place we are going does have a small gym but the equipment is a tad outdated and not very good. I would rather walk up big hills than subject myself to an indoor workout when the treadmill is so old. I am fortunate that I have both options but what do you do when you go on vacation. Taking a vacation is a vacation from work not from your health.
The AHA recommends 30 minutes of cardio activity most days of the week. What can you do when you go on vacation?
Start with taking the opportunity to do things you don't get to do in your everyday life.
Headed to the beach? Take long walks along the beach. It’s a great workout.
If you are hell-bent on making sure you get your regular workout in, most hotels have a small gym to accommodate you (the last business trip I was on there was a daily battle at 5am for the two treadmills in the hotel). If your hotel is in a nice area, take the opportunity to explore a new neighborhood and take a walk or run.
Heading to a resort? There are all kinds of activities resorts offer that are usually free. On our honeymoon, The Husband went kayaking alone (the last time we did it together almost made the honeymoon unnecessary). He also turned into part fish and spent most of his days snorkeling.
Visiting a city? You will probably do plenty of walking around and getting exercise without even knowing it. Find attractions in an area and walk to them all.
Now if you are going on a ski vacation (like me) that should be all the exercise you need. Although, with the weather being what it is these days, I will probably have to supplement with some hiking since the snow is melting rapidly.
Exercise is not your job but it should be part of your lifestyle. Make it something that you do every day even when you are on vacation, because you don't take a vacation from your health.
Play hard & miss me!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment