Search This Blog

Thursday, March 29, 2012

I want to ride my bicycle


Hi. It’s Laura, 

I am happy to report that The Husband and I got new bikes. We actually purchased them a while ago but only picked them up last night. Sizing, shipping, assembly and vacation got in the way of taking them home that day. Regardless of the weather, we were both anxious to get out on them today. 

If you remember, I have fond memories of bicycles and my last one most of all. I put a lot of miles on that one and, although I w sad to see it go, I am way more excited to have the new one.  ( I donated it to Recylce a Bicycle, a worthy cause)  

My old bike was a hybrid mountain bike with road tires which made it a little (but not much) faster considering the bike itself weighed something like 40lbs. That maybe an exaggeration but seems right since new ones weighs OUNCES. I can practically (I said practically) lift it with one finger.

I just checked and I can lift it with one finger just not all the way off the ground ( SOOO AWESOME :))) 

The process of buying this bike is much different than the way I have bought any bike in the past. We spoke with sales person about where we were going to ride, how often and what we were looking to do with them (I felt like we were answering questions for Match.com). The technology is also amazing; aluminum; carbon; a mix of the two is a long way from whatever the material my mountain bike was made from. I am sure you can just walk into a store and say hey I would like a bike and they can set you up for a song (a good bike is only around $300). This was not that process. 

Not only is the process different, having such a sophisticated piece of machinery, the ride is different. I got out this morning (it was a little chilly but I couldn't wait) and headed straight for the park. I had no choice but to clip into my pedals. I was holding off until I got inside the park but the shoes and the pedals just wanted to be together (not being ready for this, I almost tipped over at the street light). I started out in the park wobbly. The bike is so light and the tires so thin I just was not used to it. I pedaled slowly to get the feel and to play with the gears. I felt so out of control.

I have cycled in this park so many times before (The Blondish Friend and I used to ride every Friday morning together) but today it felt like I have never been there. I headed up the east side (and to add to the challenge cars were allowed into the park which makes the lanes that much more narrow). Cat hill, not a problem. The flat stretch on the East was lovely. I hit the 102nd street crossover which was windy. And then the Big Hill! Seated climb, I was feeling good.  

I came up with a little trick to remember how to change the gears and started feeling much more confident. By the time I was ready to start my second loop, I was tired. The east side was not as easy and I kept telling myself you can do it. You would think spending time on an indoor train cycle would help prepare for an actual ride. No, not really. I thought I was in good shape until this morning and thought about not finishing (there is a slippery slope if I ever saw one).

I talked myself down and settled back in and finished my entire ride: 1 hour

If you have not guessed by now, I am super excited for my new bike. I am looking forward to the many hours it and I will spend together in the coming weeks.



BTW- I slept last night all the way through! YAHOO



Play hard!
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment