Hi. It's Laura.
I am leaving this weekend for all of next week for vacation. And I freely admit , it is getting harder each day to find the motivation to get to the gym first thing in the morning as we get closer to the end of the week. I just want to be the weekend to get here (It is stupid. I know skipping a workout does not make the day go faster).
I will of course get everything done (thanks guilt). I also know the more that I stick to my designated schedule the better off I will be when I come back. And once back, the 15 week countdown begins. YIKES. My training will become longer and more intense as I move through the spring (wait isn't the spring already here?).
It certainly feels that spring is here. My allergies have already started and I got a little sunburn on my forehead yesterday at the dog park (so much for that built in SPF in my moisturizer).
Back to skipping one workout. According to a UK study, there is 61 % likelihood that if you skip one workout this week you will also skip and exercise session next week.
Now there is a slippery slope. You skip one this week, one next week. Then it starts. The following you skip two, and so on and so on. My sensei use to remind us that Monday was the most important workout of the week as that set the tone. If you put off Monday’s workout until Tuesday, then you have to work late on Tuesday. So you try to make it up on Wednesday. But an offer for happy hour comes up on Wednesday. You already have plans on Thursday night. Now the week is over because, what is the likelihood of going to the gym Friday night? Exactly!
The same pattern holds with food (why do you think McDonald's is still in business). Once you taste buds get a hold of a little fat , salt and sugar, it wants more. (Remember the whole blog yesterday about being tired and poor food choices?) If you skip one healthy meal for a fattier saltier meal, you are more likely to choose poorly again. Forgive yourself.
One of the reason diets and exercise plans fail is because there is no room for error.
If you fall off the food wagon or skip one workout (although make sure it is a good reason), allow yourself that one misstep and get right back on the wagon. You are assured success on a more flexible path.
Play hard & be consistent!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment