Search This Blog

Monday, April 16, 2012

EAT your food


Hi. It’s Laura.

Happy Monday! 

My intent this morning was to recap the weekend and talk about the current workout until I saw a headline that got my attention on my Yahoo! page this morning. After reading the article I was pretty flabbergasted. So we are going to continue to discuss food and healthy eating. 

I will admit, in my 43 years, I have not tried that many diets. I signed up for eDiets.com 10 years ago and have been a member ever since. It helps keep my on track when I am not ignoring it.  

The site educated me on what is “good” food, how many calories per day I need to lose weight and how many calories I need to maintain my weight. I have tried different plans within eDiets and they all pretty much boil down to the same thing: calories in versus calories out. Just depends on which types of food you like to it and what dietary restrictions you personally have. 

I have never been on Weight Watchers. I signed up for it and quit in the same day because points are just too complicated for me (your mileage may vary). I have never done Nutrisystem , Jenny Craig, gluten-free programs, Medifast or the Biggest Loser Diet. I did however try Atkins (hated it and it didn't work for me).


The one thing all these diet have in common is food. They all require you to eat and they would prefer that you eat the foods that they prescribe (and sell).


Back in 2009, I convinced The Husband to try a Cleanse with me. A friend of mine had done it and loved the results. I was very excited to try it and obsessively visited the website until the juices arrived on a Sunday night. The first half of day one was easy enough and by day two I was tired and couldn't exercise. Not to mention I learned how much I enjoy chewing. There are something’s that you never think about, like chewing food. It’s very satisfying and during a cleanse, it doesn’t happen. You are also encouraged not to chew gum, drink coffee, two things that usually cover my hunger between meals & snacks.  

That was the end of fads in our house. We enjoy food and like to chew it! 

Back to dieting.


So the headline reads: " Brides To-Be Using Feeding Tubes To Rapidly Shed Pounds" (click on the link to read the article)


Yes. you read that right.
 

DISTURBING! 

If you have not figured it out, here is the answer to healthy sustainable weight loss: there is no magic pill, potion or diet that will help you lose weight fast in a healthy manner. You need to eat real food in the correct portions and exercise at a minimum of 30 minutes a day, most days of the week.


There are no shortcuts like a feeding tube. Feeding tubes are for people who cannot eat for themselves because they are not physically capable of eating for themselves. If they did not get the nutrition through the liquids they would die (so channeling my father there). But it’s true.

Eat your fruits & veggies, whole grains and proteins while you can. One day you may not be able. Although if you are in training to be in a coma…..


Play hard!
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment