Hi.It's Laura
After a fun weekend (perhaps too much fun) kicking off the week of exercise was no easy task.
I overslept to start. I heard The Husband and The Dog moving around but I was in the middle of some pretty weird wake/sleep dream thing and had a hard time lifting my head. Once I finally managed to get up, it took three cups of coffee (and a lot of talking to myself) to get me out the door. With a look in the mirror, I saw that my eyes were already swollen from allergies. A nice seven mile run in the park was not going to make them look any better.
After at least 45 minutes of procrastinating, I was dressed, fueled and ready to go, sort of. I knew I was tired and if I thought seven miles was daunting last week, it was even more so this week. I also have a couple of swims to make up from last week. It is going to be a long day.
I seriously try not to think about what is coming; the hills; the sun; the heat; but I just couldn't stop the anticipation. I needed to figure out a way to get it over it before I turned around and went home. On my way to the park I came up with a plan. Instead of trying to tackle the whole park at once, I would take it in 6 minute increments. in other words, intervals.
So the interval count is a five minute run followed by a one minute walk. Being so tired and already so warm first thing this morning, I needed to monitor my heart rate and make sure I wasn’t working too hard. Making sure I was recovering before starting the next interval was also key. By the time I hit mile four, I forgot I was tired because I caught myself thinking about solving world problems instead of just trying to get through the run. And then, it was over. Seven miles done. YAHOO! But wait there's more.
The pool has reopened.
I know I only got one rowing session in last week so figure my best bet is to try to make up the two swims that I missed. The rowing just didn't cut it for me. I suck at swimming so extra swimming is not going to hurt me. (of course unless I drown, but that is whole other blog for another time or not because I will be dead). I was so surprised when I got to the pool.
It was empty (of people not water)!
OH JOY! It was a good swim. I mostly enjoyed my first day back in the water although it was a struggle. And so the week begins
Play hard!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment