Hi It's Laura.
Happy Monday!
Friday I spent most of my morning researching how to do the transition portion of the triathlon. There are so many theories. I had no idea. Since this is my first tri, it never occurred to me that I needed to take special time practicing the transition or that there was even time to lose in between.
The first transition (T1) is from the swim to the ride and the second transition (T2) is from the ride to the run. Sounds easy enough but everything that I have read says that the hardest part is T2. I do not know why, at least not yet.
Part of my training includes "Brick" work. A brick workout is one sport immediately following the next. It is layering of workouts, likes bricks. The second part of that is because after a long ride followed by a run your legs feel like bricks.
There is actually controversy as to whether or not you should keep your shoes clipped to your pedals for the start of the bike leg versus putting them on sitting on the ground. To me, leaving my shoes on the bike sounds a little too dangerous and I don't think I will be able to do that. I will try it during practice and see how it works. A part of the T2 transition is to, again, leave your shoes on the bike and take your feet out of your shoes while still riding in order to make the transition faster. It sounds pretty dangerous to me. How long could it possibly take to change your shoes? I will find out on Saturday. Saturday will be my first brick and I am little worried.
Some of the tips that I came across in my research seem completely logical to me.
Step on your wetsuit in order to help get it off your ankles. Well, duh, the guy who made the video has clearly never worn skinny jeans or jeggings.
Put your sunglasses on before your helmet. I usually ride during the daylight and have experienced this first hand. You actually have to put everything on before your helmet, same with a hat. Ever try putting sunglasses on after your hat? It is logical like socks before shoes.
And practice the transition. Really? I think that is the most logical of all. I have never done one and I am certainly not going to wait until the last minute.
Now on the on the other hand, he mentioned things, I NEVER would have thought of.
Wear your running/riding "outfit" under your wetsuit. I really did not think about getting naked on 79th street in front of 3,000+ competitors.
Use a race belt instead of safety pins. During the bike you wear your number on your back. During the run you wear it on your front. If you have ever run a race, you know how difficult it can be to pin on the number. But to pin it in two different places in the middle of the race…? Race belt= GENIUS
Extra water to clean your feet! I never ever would have thought of that. Getting out of the Hudson from the swim, it is a barefoot walk from the river to T1. Your feet will be sandy or muddy. Wash your feet with the extra water.
On Saturday, I worked on T2, the bike to run and there is a whole different set up for that.
Play hard!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment