Hi. It's Laura.
I have never been happier to see a Monday arrive.
On Friday morning, I told you that I had a stomach bug and shared an article. Well, that was only the beginning. I felt a little out of sorts all Friday morning but made my way down to visit my mother anyway. By the time I got out of the car, I was achy all over and freezing cold.
Turns out I had a temperature of 100.1 and climbed into my childhood bed to sleep for two hours. Mom’s rock, BTW- she made me toasted cheese and tomato soup. I gathered enough strength to make the drive back to the city where I proceeded to sleep through remainder of Friday evening into Saturday morning. I awoke feeling quite drained even though the fever broke in the middle of the night
I stayed on the sofa and started feeling a bit better by Saturday evening, or so I thought. I had trouble falling asleep Saturday night and finally drifted off around 11:30 pm. I awoke again at 1:00 am to severe stomach pains. I will spare you the gory details and remained awake until 3:30 am. During those two and a half hours I had been up and down so many times I woke The Dog, The Husband and both the cats. After several doses of OTC medication, I finally was able to get a little rest. I spent another day on sofa and managed to eat food (I had only been eating soup and vanilla ice cream until this point). By Sunday evening, the color returned to my face. The last time I felt that bad was somewhere around 1990 when I had the flu and boy was this weekend just miserable and not just for me.
So I emerge here on Monday morning, dirty, hungry and feeling better.
But where does that leave my training? I missed Friday and Saturday. Since we are at the beginning I have not lost much (maybe a little weight & strength from not eating). I am very happy that if this had to happen that it happened during the first week of training and not six or eight weeks in. Adding insult to injury, the pool in my health club is closing at the end of the week for maintenance for an entire week (that may hurt my training). In order to make it up, I will either have to double up next week or add to my "rest week".
I shared my insomnia with you last week and out of ten days, I had a full night’s sleep on three of them. So I do believe it was inevitable that I would contract something, although I was expecting a cold. I would have preferred a cold; I know how to deal with that better.
Right here, in the beginning of an intense training schedule, I hit road blocks. It would be so easy to just throw in the towel and/or make excuses (I had one built right in). However, it is time to get on track and power through this schedule. I am off the pool to get in my swim before it closes for maintenance.
Play hard!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment