Hi. It's Laura.
Happy Monday!
At the end of last week, I spent some time at my parents’ house. Because I am in training I dragged the bike, the running shoes and the dog as well as every other piece of fitness paraphernalia that I need down the shore.
The training scheduled called for a 90 minute ride on Thursday, a 5 mile run on Friday and my "brick" on Saturday.
I had a pretty good idea of where I was going to run and ride. Since I was at the Jersey Shore, I figured I would go along the beach. I was worried about how cold it would be riding along the ocean and the overcast day but, as it turned out for such a long ride on Thursday, it was a good thing.
I headed south from Asbury Park for my ride.
I rode along the beach as much as I could. There are lakes separating some of the towns so I would have to ride back to the main road to get to the next town over and then back to the ocean. On an average ride this would have bugged me but I was just trying to get in some saddle time. The ride itself was lovely.
I have not been down that way in quite some time. I was distracted by the amount of McMansions on the ocean front along the way. So many things have changed since I lived down there and I was fascinated most of the ride. I was not sure how far I was going. I just need to ride for 45 minutes in one direction then I figured I would turn around and ride back. I made it 11miles south from my start and headed back. The ride home was just as entertaining until I reached the parts I was more familiar. I guess they were not entertaining enough because I found myself singing, out loud.
I don't sing out loud very often and usually only around The Husband (he has already seen me at my worst so what is a little singing? [Editor’s Note: She sings fine]) .
Because of the weather being overcast and damp, I caught a chill that morning that I never quite shook it. Now I had my run schedule for Friday and, that morning, I found myself very anxious about it.
I did not even realize I was that anxious until I kept procrastinating: I had coffee, checked my email, had some more coffee, let the dog out, checked the weather, had more coffee, checked the weather again until I realized the time and knew it had to get done. I started right out my mother's front porch and headed to the ocean front again. It was sooo cold and so windy that I literally had to hold onto my hat.
I was fighting the wind, which was coming from the west. There was no relief except when I was behind the buildings and that did little to help block the gusts. The plan for the run was the same for the ride the day before, run for 2.5 miles and turn around. I couldn't stand it. I never really settled into my run because I was unsure where I was going to wind up and the wind made it just miserable. I turned at 2.25 miles and headed back. The second half of my run was just as bad because I was trying to figure out where I would make up the .5 miles. My final plan was to get back to my mother's neighborhood and just run up and down the streets until I hit 5. Thank you GPS watch.
Being that unsettled during a run, is unsettling (yes, I know that is redundant). I know I have shared with you how much I enjoy running so it is very disappointing to want it to be over with as soon as possible. I hit the front porch with much relief.
Saturday morning, the plan was Brick, then golf. Neither happened. The brick was postponed to Sunday due to lack of proper clothing for the cold weather and the golf was cancelled due to an outing at the course we were going to play.
Although it was great to have a change of scenery for my training, and I do love the ocean, but I realized I am very happy running in Central Park and Riverside Park. I have my trails marked so I know exactly how far I need to go to complete my daily goal.
It’s nice to travel, but there is no place like home.
Play hard!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment