Hi. It's Laura.
Long run done. P
Long ride done. P
But it’s just not that simple. Since this is triathlon training, my days are not just about one exercise session but at least two a day. Monday I did my long run and added a swim to make up for one that I missed. Tuesday is my long ride and strength training day.
My long rides right now are 75 minutes. But because that is significant time in the saddle, I opted to ride the west side highway which is void of hills except for one. Last year I was riding frequently because of my knee surgery, the surgeon preferred an indoor bicycle and running was not allowed yet. So I took to the West Side. Some days I head south toward the Seaport and others days north toward the GWB.
For my long ride yesterday I headed north. Fighting the wind, I wound up under the GWB and had forgotten that, to get over the bridge, there is a very steep climb. I made that hill my goal last year but never achieved it (last summer was rough: moving twice, renovations, etc. but enough excuses). I got half way up with hill and stopped (dumb dumb dumb). Don't stop when your climbing a hill. I tried to finish it but could not get the bike going again on such a steep incline. I gave up but promised myself that I will conquer that hill this year (it’s kind of embarrassing when girls with skirts and kicks are climbing that hill on a regular ole bike).
But hill work was not done for the day. Part of the work of the day was hill repeats! I chose the hill at the entrance of Riverside park at 72nd street. The plan was 7 two minute climbs, which is a great way to build strength and utilize your core. But we have only just begun for the morning, after cycling, off to the gym for strength training.
I am finding that every week it is taking me longer and longer to get everything in. My legs were like Jello when I got to the gym. I am sure I was fun to watch me doing my squats. So being tired, and trying to lift, was difficult indeed.
I do not have a solution to my tired problem and I don't think it will get any better. Every week the workouts are becoming more intense and eliminating strength training is not an option. I need those muscles. I have designed my program specifically for the muscles I am using for the swim, run and bike. I am grateful that, for today, I only have a swim to complete. The one benefit to being this tired all the time now is that I am not barking at people on the subway or the sidewalk!
I am already looking forward to Sunday.
Play hard!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment