Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

It's a shame


Hi. It's Laura. 

I know I often complain about slow people and people getting in my way but that is just me being a New Yorker. It happens to all of us. We are in a rush to get somewhere and didn't quite make it to the front of the pack on the subway, etc. I do try to keep my complaining to a minimum (except for the pool because there is just way too much drama in the pool). Ok, there is also a trainer at my gym who wears too much cologne and this is where the story starts today.


About a month ago, a friend and I were working out on a Wednesday evening at my gym. The Snow Bunny (who you " met" during our snowboarding adventure") is very willing to travel to my neighborhood and I have guest passes so we workout in my gym. We went through some legs and chest doing combinations making the time pass very quickly. Instead of doing traditional bicep curls and lat pull-down, we decided to do mitt drills for a more effective workout.  The Snow Bunny has no marital arts training so it’s hard for her to hold mitts for me. I find it just as effective to be the pad holder so I did more holding and combination calling than she did. With the workout complete, we head to our respective homes.


I was starving when I got home (I don't usually train at night and our session went through the dinner hour for me). Before showering or changing, I started my dinner. During my dinner, the phone rang (this is not usual circumstance, text yes, phone no) and it’s “SO and SO” from my gym.
 

I did not quite catch his name and he proceeds to accuse me of using the facilities fraudulently as a paid trainer. He proceeds to tell me if it ever happens again he will suspend my membership. The conversation goes downhill from there.
 

I think it is outrageous for someone who I never met and who has NO IDEA who I am to accuse me of something he did not see himself. Then to threaten me with his idea of punishment is ludicrous. I questioned “ So and SO”  as to why he would be calling me and making accusations without asking me any questions. Why didn't you approach us when we there at the gym? Apparently he didn't actually see us, someone else did.
 

I asked him why are you so quick to jump on me when I have been complaining for months about the trainer with the cologne. His smart ass remark was “how do you know I didn’t do anything about it?’ My response: “because I was there this morning and he still stinks up the entire room.”


When the conversation ended, I was shaking and very upset. The husband was just as upset when he got home and I shared my story. I was still outraged on Friday morning and went to member services about the situation. Why are you providing me guest passes if I work out with my friend and you just  accuse me of training her? Now I freely admit that I am a personal trainer and I have a black belt in MMA but I was NOT training my friend other than mitt drills (sorry they look so good). Member services will get back to me after they speak to the person that called me.

No rush, I am headed out on vacation and I will follow up when we get back.

All I wanted was an apology for accusing me and threatening my membership without questioning me (last I checked you are presumed innocent until proven otherwise).
 

I stopped in to speak with them when we returned and was disappointed that the gentleman that I was speaking with was no there. I did however receive a phone call later that afternoon from the young lady that I did speak with to follow up. She let me know that the Director (who stil has no idea who I am) will NOT apologize and if it even looks like I am training someone he will suspend my membership. Not even an apology that I am offended.
 

It is amazing to me that I can be such a good member of the gym community: I don't bother anyone in the gym; I come in do my work out and leave; I re-rack my weights; I don't use weights or kettle bells by the mirrors; I wipe down the machines when I am done and I do not talk on the phone or let my phone ring on the gym floor. I do not wear cologne and I do not tell other members that they are doing something wrong (no matter how much it kills me) and then I am treated this way.


Going back in to the health club after this incident has left me angry. I now walk in with my headphones on and barely acknowledge the front desk personnel because I do not feel welcome anymore. I do what I need to do as quickly as I can and leave. I try to do as much cardio outside now as I possibly can so I don't have to spend more time there.

( not to mention the cologne that the trainer wears is nearly suffocating) This is too bad I really liked going there and I am sad that I feel this way.


I have started a letter to the boss of the person who called me but have been unable to finish it because I get too upset.
 

“It is rare that I take a customer complaint to someone of your level but I am afraid that the way I have been treated is a sign of the entire organization and if it is happening to me it is probably happening to others who may be less inclined to speak their mind..."


Play hard!

Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment