Hi, It's Laura
I would not call me a control freak (The Husband would and probably most of my friends). I definitely do like to control the aspects of my life that I can and through the course of my life that has been food. Hence, I have an aversion to my food touching while on the same plate and I weigh everything that I eat. Although this sounds weird this is more OCD than an eating disorder.
I am not anorexic, bulimic, othroexic or a yo- yo dieter. I believe that I have struck a good balance of food in my life that allows me to enjoy good food and eat healthy. About ten years ago I did an about face on my diet and actually learned what is good for you and what is not. I forget that a lot of people have no idea how to eat properly but who is going to teach them?
A story: yesterday on my way downtown, to the cat shelter where I volunteer, I realized half way there that I really needed to pee (TMI? sorry). So I jumped off the train at Penn Station because I know exactly where the bathroom is located. I was very focused on my way there. I was more observant on my way back to the train and what I saw stopped me dead in my tracks. Now mind you, I have walked through this section of Penn Station 10,000 times in my career as a sales person and just never this noticed before:
TGI FRIDAY'S , TACO BELL, KFC, HAAGEN DAZS, PIZZA HUT, NATHAN'S, TIM HORTON'S, ZARO'S, SOUTH WEST GRILL, PLANET SMOOTHIE, KABOOZ (in their defense, I have eaten in Penn Station and many healthy options on the menu). All are on the North east entrance and all are in a row.
I stopped to write it down and, while doing so realized, they were all full (not TGIF, too early for them). No wonder 33.9% of Americans are overweight.
With the exception of McDonald's and Burger King, all the fast food giants were right there. How easy "they" make it to buy their food. Personally, I carry snacks with me all the time. I have granola bars and muscle milk in my bag most of the time. I know there are the naysayers out there that say "I only eat that once in a while" and I’m sure they do. But I witnessed, firsthand, two former coworkers eat McDonald's , Burger King and Arby's five days a week for lunch.
There are theories out there that claim we are addicted to fat, sugar and salt and if you saw the documentary “Super-Size Me”, the theories are probably right. Fat, Sugar and Salt feed on themselves. Add a little marketing, add a little stress and there it is: a society that perpetually overeats and overeats all the wrong things. If only a spinach farmer had the budget to create a glossy ad campaign, the tables might be turned and the farmer might be rich instead of the corporations (but yet I digress).
Back to healthy eating. I have talked about knowing your numbers in the past and eveyone's diet should be different for your personal nutrition needs. I am not a nutritionist but I can offer some guidelines.
Stay away from processed food and eat real food. Michael Pollan I think said it best in "Food Rules" a very simple guideline to eating. Tips like:
• Never eat anything your grandmother couldn't identify, i.e. gogurt.
• Real food spoils.
• Cook for yourself. It is not that hard and contains much less fat, salt and sugar.
• Eat breakfast! Breakfast is not a cup of coffee. Try a bagel with peanut butter and milk.
• Snack frequently and preferably ones you have prepared yourself (whole wheat pretzels, string cheese, fruit).
• Keep your beverages to water and unsweetened tea (wine is fine in moderation).
• Work veggies and protein into every meal.
Like I said just a few guidelines to get you started or reminded
Play hard & eat well!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment