Search This Blog

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Bits & Pieces


Hi again, it’s Laura



I have a plan for water consumption based on Bob Harper's skinny rules. I certainly am not going to run out and buy his book. That would silly. I think he gave away some of best tips for free on the Today Show (can you tell I watch the today show? I think I mention it every day).



He says drink a glass of water before every meal or something like that. I am taking the idea to increase my water intake and I am going to challenge you to do the same. Bob Harper is using water to help people lose weight, I just want to hydrate. So the challenge is to drink one glass of water before I start drinking my morning coffee. So this morning I turned on the tap, filled the cup and chugged the water. That’s one. I generally don't drink anything with my meals so I am going to have at least one glass of water with each meal. And if I have to measure out the water than, gosh darn it, I will.



Hopefully in a couple of weeks this will turn itself in a good habit.



Yesterday the last thing I wanted to do was swim 900 meters. I walked around the apartment nearly stamping my feet and carrying on like a child. The only problem with that was the only one a temper tantrum was annoying was me. I gathered my gear and headed out to the pool. I was very happy to see the pool was nearly empty. One to two people per lane.



As you know this is not usually the case. Since I was so tired I decided to swim in the medium slow lane. This was a smart idea. I just was not feeling the swim. I was six laps in and decide that I don't want to do this anymore and I will just quit now. I rest at the wall and start rationalizing my decision. I can't. There is nowhere to "makeup” a swim. Pools are pretty hard to come by and the only other one I know of where we are going can be swam in two strokes. I stick it out.



By the time I hit 250 meters I'm into it and happily swimming along, until...

I heard a whistle blow, I think. The next thing I know the guy who was swimming in the "fast” lane is now in the "medium slow" lane doing the back stroke. WTF? Apparently he was chased out by the lifeguards (odd, I didn't think they actually watched the water in my experience). He was too slow for the fast lane and in my opinion he was too slow for the medium slow lane. Annoyed and being slowed down not just by him but another woman as well, I hop into the "medium fast" lane. I did not want to work this hard but I actually found it easier to swim faster than to slow down my pace now that I was warmed up.



900 meters done. Yay!



Today I am waiting to ride, as of my writing, it is raining.  When does it actually ever rain when the forecast says only a 20% chance? I have a two hour ride ahead of me today. I am nervous to ride on wet roads with my slick tires so I am waiting for the rain to stop and the roads to dry out a little. I am also nervous about the route that I am taking today. I know that I can make it from my apt to the South Street Seaport in a half hour. On a weekday, going downtown is just dangerous with all the buses and commuter traffic. I have two hours and going back forth to the seaport is just not going to cut it.



I am headed north over the GWB and up 9W. I have heard of people doing this ride before and I have always wanted to try it. So today I am. I have no idea where I am going once I get over the bridge but I am sure I can figure it out. It may take me two hours to figure it out but I will eventually.



We leave tonight for the mountains. I am sure I will have some interesting rides over the weekend going up and down those mountains. I will keep you posted.



Play hard!

Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment