Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Recipe for Meltdown

It’s Laura.

Last week was a tapering Run week for me and this week is a tapering swim week. And I thought a tapering ride week but I threw 40 mile (5 boro) bike ride in, so not so much...

I signed up for this so I am not complaining. But the last 24 hours are just killing me.
40 mile ride on Sunday and what I thought would be an easy swim on Monday turned out to be harder than I thought. I delayed my long run from Monday to let myself rest. So I ran my 8 on Tuesday. I had a client?/ training partner for strength training on Tuesday night followed by an hour ride Wednesday morning.  I have no brick this week so I really thought a light week was at hand, but no. 
 

Thursday: 2 mile run, strength training, swim 750m

Friday: 1 hour bike ride

Saturday: 6 mile run


This is the week that I question my own sanity. Now I know that if I were training for a longer event this would be nothing training but I am not training for anything longer.  This is not a “break down” at least not yet.


I have trained for enough events to know I have not hit the level of intensity needed to cause an emotional breakdown. When I was competing in MMA events and testing for my second degree black belt (fell short, mind you not by much), my Sensei along with the other Senseis in the school would ride me so so hard. Some days I would leave crying (they were not allowed the privilege of seeing those tears).

 
The tears stemmed from the stress of the event/test, the pressure from the Sensei to achieve, exhaustion from hours and hours of training. Add a little insecurity and desire from myself to achieve the goal and that is the recipe for a meltdown. Granted they didn’t last long.  The meltdown usually ends once the tears begin to flow. The tears can be heaving sobs (I have witnessed not experienced), to tears sliding down checks under the headgear so no one can see (that one is me) or in the locker room 
sharing with everyone (again witnessed. )  

Once the tears have passed, the fear seems to subside, let's call it a breakthrough. After the breakthrough, training resumes usually at a higher level than before. Mind you I am not looking forward to having a meltdown. I am painfully aware that the potential is there for it to happen.
Next week’s training takes a step up with longer runs, longer swims and longer rides. 
 

If sound cranky you will know why.
 
For now I am just trying to get it all in and not hurt myself in the process.

Play hard!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment