Hi. It's Laura
The end of last week, I spent it at my parent’s house helping them with a project which threw my off by a lot. I got through the ride ok and did the run but was not happy about it and I had my brick scheduled for Saturday.
The Husband arrived Friday night and after my brick on Saturday we were going to play a round at the local golf course. We left the house for breakfast Saturday morning and it was really chilly, too chilly for me with the clothes that I had. (32 down in the burbs.) I decided to postpone the brick to Sunday when I would be home and had proper clothes to run and ride in. We also did not get to play our round of golf due to an outing at the local course. We called it a day in the burbs and headed home.
I really do prefer my rest day to be Sunday but since this week I chose Saturday, I did not really have a choice. On Sunday morning I found myself procrastinating once again.
I had some coffee, checked the weather, took my turn at Words with Friends and then my turn at Draw Something, had some more coffee, checked the weather and started to pack up my stuff for the transition. After more coffee, more turns and more coffee (it sounds like a lot of coffee but it’s really just one big cup), I finished packing up my stuff.
One of the more important things to me when I run is my hat. I went to the front hall closet and grabbed the hat but not before I shut my big toe under the door. I stood there paralyzed and yelping like a hurt puppy because I could not figure out how to get my toe out. The Husband and the dog came running and by then I was out and still whimpering. There was redness but no blood. Ouch! :(
I made it out the door (barely, needed some help there) and headed to Central Park. I sat at the top of the entrance at 77th street waiting for a GPS signal. A minute or two pass and I get a signal. I hit go. STOP! There is running race in the park. When there is a race in the park it usually goes clockwise but this one was counter clockwise. The runners were 8-10 deep left to right and the little bit of pathway left was filled with people running who were not in the race. UGH. I went a little further and realize this is just not going to work. I head home to share a new plan with The Husband (I need to share the plan because he is meeting me with my running gear. I have nowhere to leave my stuff in Central Park so it doesn’t get stolen). I will ride in Riverside Park but now I need to see him so I can change the time and place he meets me. The doorman tells me he went out. GGRRRRRR. I wait.
Got him! I share the plan and head to Riverside Park. The plan is north. I get down to 72nd get on the path to the bike lane and POW. The bike ramp at 72nd street is closed.
I really, really, really get the feeling that I am not supposed to do this this day. I pick up the bike and carry down the stairs. PHEW. I am riding! WOO HOO!
After all the setbacks, I tell myself that I am just going to take it easy. It is already a flat course so I just need to get the time in the saddle. Yeah right, I have met me. Do you remember the goal I had for this summer? Making it up the hill near the GWB? Goal accomplished.
I just could not help myself. I saw and needed to do it plus I had the time. I only needed a 60 minute ride and I was only 30 minutes into it. Why not climb the hill? So I did.
If you have never ridden along the Hudson River I will tell you it’s a lovely ride but a pain in the butt. Its gets very narrow in some places and it is a shared path for runners, riders, pedestrians and the ever loathed rollerbladers. Why do people need to run or ride side by side when it is clear that not everyone can fit safely? I yelled at so many people for being stupid on the way back I was surprised I did not have an angry mob following me.
I was greeted at the transition by The Husband, smiling and The Dog who was crazy. Without too much ado, I make the switch and off I go. I was very happy with the way this week's brick worked out. I did not cramp nearly as bad as I did last week. Although I was still experiencing the endorphin high from the ride, I was able to settle down very quickly into my run.
Here we go into week 7. The time is fly-ying.
The Husband and I are doing the 5 Boro Bike tour this weekend that should give us plenty of good stories!
Play hard!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment