Hi. It's Laura.
Happy Tuesday.
So as you read we were gone for the weekend and sorry for the last late positing. You know how I like to keep you updated.
I mentioned the hills in VT and being in the middle of nowhere. Let me tell you about the middle of nowhere.
There was of logistical planning for our trip to VT. We only have one car and, once the bike is on the back of the car, we cannot access the trunk. The Husband was planning a round of golf for Saturday morning and I had my brick. The plan is I drop him at the golf course then go back, get myself ready, rack the bike and go.
The sun is out and the temp is about 62 degrees, absolutely beautiful out. I am really looking forward to this ride. Plus I know a round of golf can take about four hours. I can do my brick, get home shower and enjoy a quiet morning while The Husband is out.
I get down to the parking lot of the Skyeship Base Lodge only to find it packed! WTF? We had completely forgotten about the Killington Stage Race going on all weekend long. Doesn't matter, I have to go. I am at least an hour ahead of their start time so I head out.
Down US 4 into Bridgewater; Beautiful views along the Ottauquechee River; Long stretches of flat and rolling hills; No people other than a few cyclist and passing cars which were not that many comparatively speaking. At the 8.5 mile mark I hit the end of Bridgewater and turn around to head back.
I am enjoying the scenery and taking in some of the leftover damage from Hurricane Irene that devastated the area last fall. It is amazing how quickly they were able to put some of the properties back together. It is also so sad to see so many homes still lying on their sides waiting to be demolished. The day is absolutely gorgeous and I see some of the cyclists of the race have already started. They are on the opposite side of the highway so I have safely avoided getting caught up in it.
With 10 minutes left in my ride which is about 3 miles from where I started, I get a flat tire. Not happy about this but I have a solution. I have CO2 cartridges in my saddle bag so I can just inflate and go.
I am on the shoulder of a major highway in VT with my bicycle leaning against the guard rail while I attempt to inflate my tire with the CO2. First cartridge does nothing. I curse. I walked a little way up the road to a pull off area just to tempt fate a little less. The second CO2 cartridge has no effect either. Now I am stuck in the middle of nowhere on a highway with no phone. Not that a phone would help at this point my husband is on the golf course and I have the car.
I did the only constructive thing I could think of. I throw a small temper tantrum on the side of the road. It was pretty classic: feet stamping, yelling, kicking and then I stopped.
How the hell am I going to get back? I have over three miles to walk in bike shoes. I decide to take them off and walk in my socks on a rock filled shoulder, stupid. I put my shoes back on and continue walking, not happy. I keep talking to myself about what to do. I consider hitch hiking (bad idea). Now mind you, this whole time, cars are passing me as is the bike race. No one stops to help me. I almost start to cry. I finally decided to ride on the flat figuring if I hurt the rim I will have to replace it once we get back to the city. I ride two miles on the flat and remember there is a bike shop coming up. I get absolutely giddy!
I walked into the store and begged for help. I forgot I was in VT not NYC. The First Stop Bike Shop fixed my flat tire on the honor system (after my shower it was the first stop we made in a day of errands and paid for the tube and the labor).
I pedaled the last mile to the car and made my transition to the run. I really did not think that was going to happen on this day with the setback but it did and I was very happy about that.
Time to relax and enjoy the weekend, which we did.
I hope you enjoyed your long weekend as well!
Play hard!
Laura
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment