Dear Mayor Bloomberg,
I applaud your effort to make NYC a bicycle friendly city. Unfortunately it is not quite there yet. Personally I mostly ride on the West Side, from Battery Park up into the 120's, and that section is beautiful. I remember just a few years ago how disconnected it was from 59th street up. What a huge difference now.
Perhaps you would like to do the same thing for the East Side? During a recent bike ride, I started out on West 75th Street to CPW and went north. Rode across town on 110th (little scary up there and really dirty but I think sanitation is a letter for another time).
I found that, once I hit the FDR and the East River promenade, I had to carry my bike up the stairs to cross the FDR. Why no ramp? Would you prefer cyclists ride with the cars on the highway or in the sidewalks with the pedestrians (rhetorical really no need to answer that one)?
I finally made over just to windup on pavement stones. Do you know how uncomfortable pavement stones are on the tush (again rhetorical)? I passed by your place (you should do something about the sidewalks).
Odd, after I passed your place I had to carry my bike down yet another flight of stairs (good thing I'm strong!) only to hit more paving stones and super narrow pass ways. How on earth do you expect two bikes to pass each other (please answer that one)? I had to get off my bike and wait for all the incoming traffic before I could proceed (road rules are yet another letter).
And then all if the sudden the bike path ended! There were no sign informing me where to go! I stopped and asked one of your neighbors which way to I should go. She was very helpful. I wish I had gotten her name but didn’t know I was going to write you at the time.
I found the bike lane out on 2nd Avenue. I really think it could be a wee bit safer. The garbage truck blocking the bike path forced me out into traffic. This did not make me feel very happy or very safe. I kept looking for the signs to take me back to the bike path along the river. I must have missed them because I never saw any. So I went the only way I know which is down East 23rd Street. There is an entrance to the promenade there by the gas station. I think it is the only apartment building on that side of the FDR.
I would like to say that the bike path got better but I cannot. The areas that I used to know when I biked on that side of town are in need of some serious "pothole repair". If you thought paving stones gave you a sore butt try the water filled pot holes on the only path were I am allowed to take the bike. Yikes!
I finally made it down to the Seaport area. Lovely little stretch for the tourist but what happened to the southern tip of the island? Once again the bike path disappeared and once again forced into traffic. I have to say, livery drivers in that area are very unforgiving of cyclist. They just pull right out without looking. Mr. Mayor, please put more signs up in that area or at least on the bike path. I live here and have a difficult time finding it. I cannot tell you how relieved I was to finally be back on the West Side where there is a designated bike bath that is clearly marked.
Some things you make want to add to the brochures you hand out to tourist when they arrive:
· On your left means, I am an your left (not move to your left)
· Look BOTH ways before you cross any road in the city. There are people everywhere (not usually on the tops of the buildings either)
· Lastly, sidewalks and pathways are pretty narrow so try not to walk three or four cross. Try single file or at minimum two across.
Your attention to these matters is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely
Laura Irving, cyclist at large
Laura Irving, cyclist at large
p.s. if you ever want a personal training session the first one is free
No comments:
Post a Comment