Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Grind Starts to Take Its Toll


Hi. It’s Laura



So it has happened sooner than I thought but it has happened. It started yesterday morning.



I knew I had a 9 mile run in front of me for Tuesday and the forecast was for heavy rain in the afternoon. Fingers crossed that it holds out.



It was my day to take The Dog in the morning. The Dog and I set out to chase squirrels and birds in Central Park (please note it is The Dog doing the chasing of squirrels not me). The temp was coolish but very humid. I was excited that I might be able to get my 9 in before the rain started. It sprinkled on and off for the next hour. And of course on the way home, the sprinkle turned into a heavier sprinkle. Still not bad, I can run in the rain. Got home, lubed my feet, lubed other body parts, ate my GU and looked out the window. Pouring!



I consider it for a half a second and then think about how long 9 miles takes to run and doing it in a heavy down pour, off to the gym I go.



I can't say that I have never run 9 miles on a tread mill. I have. I trained for my first half marathon on the treadmill because I was afraid of doing the distance outside. I figured if anything happened indoors I could get medical attention immediately. As I trained for that half, I grew to hate the treadmill. People say running is boring because, I bet, THEY RUN ON THE TREADMILL.



To keep myself occupied, I watch TV and listen to music. I put the closed captioning on the TV so I can read what's being said and focus more on the music during commercials. I even occasionally take my turn at word with friends if I slow my pace enough.



So not only is the treadmill boring but it shuts off after an hour. Oops. I imagine that is my cue to get off but since there was no one around and it's not prime time I just restart it (I had more than my share of arguments with fellow club goers when I was training at NYSC).



At mile 7 or mile 2 since I had to restart the machine, I felt a very unpleasant rubbing on my toe. No, no, no it can't be. I keep going but now I am completely focused on my toe. Mile 8 seems to take forever. Mile 9! Thank god! I sit down on the end of the machine to examine my foot. Sure enough, I have a blister on my 4th toe that is the size of my toe and it hurts a lot. To pop or not pop that is the question. I check a few runners’ websites and conclude it needs to be popped.



After I performed minor surgery on my toe, it felt quite a bit better and has progressively gotten better since then.I hope you understand a blister generally is not a big deal but since I decided to do the “surgery” myself I risk infection which could completely derail my training.  Yay! But now I feel like I am running out of time. I have so much training to do and feel like I don't have enough time each and every day to get it done.



Last night, I tossed and turned with wicked dreams and awoke exhausted. I had a lifting session that needed to get done in the morning and a 105 minute (1 3/4 hour) bike ride to get done today. All I want to do is to nap. I started my strength session this morning with no clue as to how I was going to get through the day. I dug deep and somehow got it done. Now, the bike ride should be interesting.



Play Hard,

Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment