Search This Blog

Friday, May 18, 2012

The Dilemma

Hi. It's Laura

Happy Friday.



I know I say it over and over, my runs are therapeutic for me.



Things that you don't even know you need to process seem to make their way to the forefront of your mind. Never mind the endorphins that get released that make you feel good, solving a problem or an issue that has been hanging around feels even better.



I know I share quite a bit of information with you most of it related to my training and not so much my personal life and today I will share something a little more personal.



Yesterday, I interviewed with one of the health club chains (do not ask me which one I will not tell you). When I first got certified I also interviewed with two of the major chains here in the city and I was very turned off by the corporate machine. The first interview with the first club went well. It went so well that they scheduled my second interview during the first interview and I was scheduled to meet with the general manager the following week.



I arrived the following week 15 minutes early so I occupied myself in the neighborhood so I wouldn't be crazy early. I checked in 5 minutes before the scheduled time and then I waited. and waited and waited and waited. Apparently the GM had a very important workout with the CEO and couldn't find two seconds to: A) inform anyone or B) have the common courtesy to call the front desk and respond to his page. He finally arrived for the interview 45 minutes late.



Needless to say, I was angry. Did I really want to work for a company where the GM doesn't respect a prospective employee? I don't think so. I went through the interview but was less than enthusiastic and quite bitchy. (I know shocker)



The second club I interviewed with actually required me to wear workout clothes. Having been in staffing for so many years I thought this just wrong so it made me uncomfortable. The interview went well enough but like so many companies I just never heard back. Not a yes not a no, just radio silence. This is ok since they were in a part of town that is difficult for me to get to.



After all this, I was accepted into the NYC Tri and launched Inspired!.



So the interview yesterday lasted an unprecedented 2 1/2 hours. During my run this morning I re-interviewed myself and re-played the interview in my head over and over. This morning I was very charming, very knowledgeable and had all the right answers. Aaah hindsight!



I will say that my interview yesterday was probably one of the worst I ever had. I could not answer any questions; I was nervous and giggled a lot and I was actually shy about talking about myself (who was that person?). It should have been great. Not only do I know what I am doing I am good at it and not afraid to talk about myself. I was in staffing for seven years! I have prepped hundreds of candidates for interviews, what to say, how to say it, what not to say, how to dress and how to sit. All of this in an effort to land the job and yesterday it was like my first interview ever.



I have written the thank you notes over and over on my run this morning after I finished re-interviewing myself over and over. The thank you notes of course are eloquent and thoughtful. They clear up and misgivings the interviewers might have had.



They said they would let me know on Monday. With that sentence alone, they are better than the last two I interviewed with.



So now, if they offer the position, do I take it? I have the weekend to decide if that is the direction I want to go. I will let you know on Monday



Play hard!

Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment