Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Insomnia


Hi. It’s Laura. 

There is nothing worse than losing sleep and we all know how important sleep is for us to function normaly 

We sleep in on the weekends because we get up too early for work. We nap to help put deposits in our sleep bank and then we stay out too late, drink too much alcohol or consume too much caffeine. The quest for sleep continues in a cycle in our lives. Most of the things that cause us to lose sleep we can control but insomnia is just a bitch. 

Everyone can experience insomnia in different ways: not being able to fall asleep, waking up too early, waking up feeling exhausted or not being able to stay asleep. The last one has been my problem for the last week with the exception of one night. I have consistently awoke between 2-3 A.M. and then stayed awake for two to two and half hours.  

I have no specific anxiety keeping me awake. Normally you wake up in the middle of the night because you are hot or thirsty or have to pee (these are my reasons, yours may vary [Editor’s Note: Cold, wet noses for a late night walk wake up a lot]). The ability to fall back to sleep after waking, has abandoned me. I am tired, irritable and honestly a little stupid without sleep. Being this tired also makes me think I am hungry. I am reluctant to take a sleeping aid because they usually give me a hangover of sorts (and make me slightly stupid). 

Is there really anything worse than lying in bed with your eyes closed trying to relax and listening to those around you such as The Husband, The Dog and The White Cat (The Black Cat is normal and is up all night ) sleeping soundly. You are just lying there with every thought that is so unimportant and will never be important. I am not worrying about anything (at least that I know of) the tri is too far away to have me this worked up.  

Besides, this started last Wednesday when I was on vacation. UGH 

I am usually so proud of my sleep that I often say I have been given the gift of sleep. I sleep very soundly when I do sleep. Marching bands playing and cats jumping on my head could not wake me. I always feel rested which is why this is so frustrating. The last bout of insomnia I had was just bad enough to keep me awake for four nights but resulted in a cold. 

So I went to the Mayo Clinic website to see what I could find. I found their information on insomnia extremely helpful. (A little insight: worrying about not sleeping can make you not sleep. UGH!) My fingers are crossed that I sleep through the night tonight and break the cycle before I become really stupid. If you have ever battled insomnia check out their website. I found some things out that I did not know. Like some of the causes and some of the risk factors. Not to mention the adverse side effects that happens during the day. 

Play hard & enjoy your sleep!

Laura


2 comments:

  1. I go through periods of time when I can be up for up to 4 hours in the middle of the night, even whem my son is sleeping through the night I can still be awake. I will definitely check the site as I am not the type to use sleeping pills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4 hours sounds like a nightmare ( or lack of one) I hope the website helps. keep me posted

    ReplyDelete